Author Topic: Harmonics in pot calls  (Read 73416 times)

Offline S Jones

• New Forum Member
  • Mallard X Wood Works
Re: Harmonics in pot calls
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 02:28:43 AM »
Most people are not willing to make there first call a "Knock Off" But that how you learn. Almost every wood project i do wether its a call or a desk drawer, I always make one just like i get from the store. When you master the "Knock Off" then thats when i do my own thing because i know i can make an item and then trouble shoot why my version is working or not. Im new to making pot calls so im in the process of making 6 calls where the pot is all the same but im going to change the striking surfaces and sound boards on each one so i get a solid base line, then go from there I have found it ends up saving money and time in the long run because i have a base to always go back to. Anyways my  :2:
Building with your own hands brings great satisfaction to the soul.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 04:18:43 AM »
Im new to making pot calls so im in the process of making 6 calls where the pot is all the same but im going to change the striking surfaces and sound boards on each one so i get a solid base line, then go from there I have found it ends up saving money and time in the long run because i have a base to always go back to. Anyways my  :2:

Wood choice makes a huge difference in the sound quality of the pot when you are finished too though, so keep that in mind with this test run of 6.  A test run of 24 or the likes over the next couple years would show you even more about those combos you have in mind.

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline S Jones

• New Forum Member
  • Mallard X Wood Works
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »
Thanks Vince im just going to start with 6 but hope to make many over the years.
Building with your own hands brings great satisfaction to the soul.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »
Someone, a few months back, posted up a heck of a complete wood density chart link that REALLY plays into this discussion well.

I will have to see if I can find it again. 

Was posted by ben.  Here is the link again.  http://ejmas.com/tin/2009tin/tinart_goldstein_0904.html

Vince
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:56:16 PM by Vince at VECtor Calls »

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline stevenbonner

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »
 :bigup: I actually posted something similar to the question asked. As I saw this thread you have helped answer what questions I did have. Thanks for sharing you knowledge. It's not everyday someone like you will give up that kind of information, especially for beginners making there own calls.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 07:04:20 AM »
In the process of trying to find podcasts to listen to while turning, I found this series on turkey hunting. I plucked out the two episodes on the pot call where Adam Prouty is featured.  Its episodes 54a and 54b. Good information to listen to while turning in the shop!  I listen to them through the Podcast app on my iPhone, but here is another way to listen to them. Hours upon hours of content about turkey hunting.  And great information Adam shared.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-turkey-hunter-podcast

VECtor Custom Calls

Areid

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 10:26:20 PM »
First off everything Larry said earlier in this post as Aaron put it should be carved in stone, Great stuff. Now, I had a call brought to me made by another call maker. Crystal over slate, but the kicker is the sound board instead of being raised on a pedestal it is glued directly the bottom of the sound chamber. Just wondered if anyone else uses this method.

Offline Rob_McFadden

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 06:44:55 PM »
hey everybody, just started making turkey pot calls and was surfing the site and came across this tutorial. I know this thread is 5 years old but just wanted to say thanks for making it a sticky and to everybody who contributed, helped me out ALOT.  :thanks:

Offline Rob_McFadden

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 06:46:09 PM »
hey everybody, just started making turkey pot calls and was surfing the site and came across this tutorial. I know this thread is 5 years old but just wanted to say thanks for making it a sticky and to everybody who contributed, helped me out ALOT.  :thanks:

how did it sound?