Author Topic: Bowfishing 2011  (Read 2218 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Bowfishing 2011
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:32:16 PM »

Well, with all of this rain we have been having and flooding to go along with it, I guess it is good for one thing.  The creeks are out of their banks a little ways, and the carp and gar are out having fun.  Sunday was the best.  The carp were spawning, and they were everywhere.  If you would splash in the water a little bit, they would swim at you to get in the action.  Most shots were about 5-6 feet away at most!  No boat needed.  Just wade around where the water is out of the banks of the creek.  Today the action wasn't as fast.  The water hasn't gone down any, but the water wasn't as fresh.  There was skim of junk on the water surface, and I didn't notice any carp spawning.  But they were still in the shallows nosing around.  Here'ssome cell phone pics since I wasn't going to get the camera wet.

By the way, I hate gar.  They are nasty and one of them cut my line with its teeth and broke my string.

Brian 
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline aprilheadhunter

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
Re: Bowfishing 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:54:12 PM »
I love the picture of that gar.
Some friends and I are planning on taking a trip to the Illinois river this summer to see if we can get in to some silvers.  :2guns:
" May turkeys be the judge of my calls for as long as I can convince hunters to use them!"-Parker

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: Bowfishing 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:04:24 PM »

I haven't gone over to the Illinois river to do that, but have a few friends that have.  Those flying fish would be fun to throw an arrow at.  There were a few silvers in the shallows where I was at.  They are like a bull in a china closet.  They were funny, I would splash a little, and they would just come charging at me.  Then stop about 3 feet away, and not move, like I wasn't going to see them.   :rofl:  And then I would let er fly and they would fight pretty good for a few minutes.   :beer:

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.