Author Topic: Turning antler - start to finish  (Read 5391 times)

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
Turning antler - start to finish
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:41:03 PM »
Does anybody know of a tutorial that shows how to turn antler into a closed-reed predator call?  I've got a few small deer antlers that I've been thinking about trying to make calls out of, but can't quite figure how.  Also, I'd like to make some short open-reed calls out of the bases.  I want the bell to be the very base of the antler.  How should a guy chuck this up securely to be able to shape the mouthpiece end and drill through it?  I know there's some guys on here that work with antler, and I would greatly appreciate tips and pictures of the process.  Also, if I wanted to do a wood/antler laminate, should I glue everything up at the same time and THEN drill through wood and antler on the lathe?
http://kmcalls.webs.com/

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Turning antler - start to finish
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:43:25 PM »
I have just drilled mine on the drill press in the past.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:46:23 PM »
For the open reed using the base, that is all hand work. You can drill a hole with a hand drill and then all the flaring of the inside of the bell is typically done with a dremel tool, or something similar. As to an open reed call, unless you are planning on turning all the character away, it is also done by hand. Drill with a hand drill, then do some work with a dremel. Have fun.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:17:15 AM »
I'd like to find a way to turn the mouthpiece end similar to however it was done on the first and third calls in this old topic.  Thanks Copperas Creek Calls for the example pictures, hope you don't mind!

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,6571.msg52883.html#msg52883

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:21:26 AM »
Looks to me, he did his best to center his work prior to drilling, and then tooled and sanded the two ends to round them up in coorelation to the center hole on the call part.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 12:27:08 PM »

Part of the fun in making calls is figuring out how to do something.  Sometimes, there isn't instructions or a tutorial for something.

I struggled for a while trying to find a tool for doing a certain task.  Then I had a really great mentor tell me "The old timers didn't have all of the tools we have now, and still managed to make calls.  Sometimes you have to make your own tools."

Don't fall into the trap that you can't figure out how to do something unless there is a tutorial to follow.  Your mind is a wonderful thing.  It can usually figure things out if you let ideas and questions bounce around for a while.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:43:08 PM »
Just trying to lower the learning curve.  Why re-invent the wheel when it's already been done?

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
This might give you some ideas.  It's been around for years, but it might help

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/makinghandcalls.shtml

AL @ THO

Bill

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »
Here are a few calls I have turned out of antler

These calls were turned on a pen mandrel on the lathe

The best way to learn is drill a hole and put a tool to it
Trust me when I say your trash can will get full a couple times along the way but making mistakes only makes you better

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 01:15:47 PM »
The way I do my antler turning is I use two blocks of wood with a small hinge attached on one end then in the middle I cut two v notches about 1/4 inch deep for both smaller if using smaller pieces of antler then using a retching clamp try to center the antler in the notches clamp then drill at the drill press if needed it you can move the block of wood a little to help keep the bit fallow the shape of the antler....
you can do them on the lathe if you take your time and square up both end on a disk sander then center it in your lath chuck I mark with a spring loaded center punch the center as close as I can the run your tail stock up with live center just to hold piece in place and tighten up the chuck then take my self centering drill bit in my tail stock drill chuck and start my hole the go to what ever bit you are going to use for your hole that is how I drill all my antlers for my calls as well as my bullet pen top barrels
hope this helps..
Repeat
Will Hunt For Food