Author Topic: best starter lathe?  (Read 19474 times)

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
Re: best starter lathe?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
Dogcatcher tried to tell you the reasons a metal lathe isn't a good idea, but you do what you want to.  :surrender:

I know I know...but he was speaking of wood hurting the lathe, is it the same if I plan to do acrylic and wood now and again???

Yuba City huh? I grew up in Redding before I got stationed in NJ....small world!

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 06:26:52 PM »
Redding is where I was born and raised. Still have a cabin up near Burney.

If you want to do metal work, get a metal lathe. If you want to turn game calls, get a wood lathe. The two are not compatible. You don't need the precision doing wood work that you need doing metal work. Wood moves after you are finished and metal doesn't. You need to deal with the two different media totally differently. If you don't want want to listen to the folks and their opinions, fine, but don't come back here later and complain about not being able to do what you want to do.

Remember, for game calls, use a wood lathe. PERIOD!
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »
For a metal lathe you should find an old one that runs off of belts and pulleys, no electronics to get screwed up by dust.  Also no gear, no gear boxes, nothing except for a shaft through the headstock, nothing that can collect dust, wood chips etc and gum up the works.  Be prepared for headaches, frustrations, pieces not being squared, excessive run out and other problems.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 05:44:45 AM »
Redding is where I was born and raised. Still have a cabin up near Burney.

If you want to do metal work, get a metal lathe. If you want to turn game calls, get a wood lathe. The two are not compatible. You don't need the precision doing wood work that you need doing metal work. Wood moves after you are finished and metal doesn't. You need to deal with the two different media totally differently. If you don't want want to listen to the folks and their opinions, fine, but don't come back here later and complain about not being able to do what you want to do.

Remember, for game calls, use a wood lathe. PERIOD!

Same as me huh, I was born in Redding but grew up in Anderson, my whole family lives there still minus one of my younger brothers who is in Vegas and about to get stationed in Alaska.

I fully understand what you are saying about turning wood on a metal lathe and that is why I asked about acrylic, if it were to be considered the same? I know acrylic has actual shavings and can still possibly gum stuff up but different than wood right? Like I said, I planned on doing mostly acrylic but some wood here and there..

I take into consideration what everyone is saying and I do appreciate all the earned advice.

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 08:54:29 AM »
Ryan something you also should really consider as a new callmaker:

Acrylic is expensive.  Very expensive.  Well over a dollar an inch.  And if you're like many of us it'll take probably a hundred or more calls before you get good enough to make a call that is truly something that people will want to buy.  That's a lot of cash outlay for little or no financial return.  Due to its very high price and difficulty of use, acrylic is not a material that you want to learn to make calls on until you're a very good turner and until you have really figured out what it takes to get what sounds out of a call.  My advice would be to do that learning with wood.  Cheap wood at that.  Because you're probably going to be using a lot of it up. 

I'll be very honest and tell you that for what I spent on acrylic BEFORE MY DUCK CALLS SOUNDED EVEN CLOSE TO DECENT I could have easily bought a 2nd Jet 1220vs lathe.  Easily. 

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 11:20:50 AM »
Kind of funny you say that KC, I have a box of acrylic that I'm saving for duck calls.  I wasted a couple pieces now I want to get it down on some maple first.  Then maybe delrin.
Snw
I've never tried turning a call on a metal lathe, but I've eyeballed the little ones at harbor freight.  They seem pretty slppy.  I'm sure they will do a lot of stuff, but I don't think they will hold the .0005 tolerance you're thinking of.  try moving some of the slides around in the store, kind of sloppy and jumpy.  I think by the time you bought tooling, vises, jaws, centers, blocks, etc. You'd spend twice as much.   I would love to own a decent bridgeport or similar but the cost is just silly for what I want to do.   And turning a mini-metal lathe into a cnc (from what I've read) is a hobby all its own.   I always liked running lathes and mills, cnc and conventional, but for callmaking you'd be better off with a wood lathe aNd a nice drill press. 
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 04:39:56 PM »
Good point about the price differences between wood and acrylic....man I sure hope not to have to turn 100 calls before I come up with something I like lol....

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 05:13:01 PM »
I cannot find the $350 Jet 1/2hp anymore for that price, they are about $400 now just with a quick look so if I got one I would just pay the extra $50 and get the Delta 3/4 46-455 for $450 delivered...wish I could find a used one!

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »
....man I sure hope not to have to turn 100 calls before I come up with something I like lol....

If you're like most callmakers and you go about it the honest way, I'd count on it.   :yes:  Making a duck call that will please the vast majority of the duck call blowing population is a real feat.  Making one that pleases a buddy or two is a lot easier I've found. 

Check Toolnut for the price of the lathe.  The guys on the sawmill creek forum absolutely swear by that guy and his service and prices.  I believe you have to call him for prices.

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2011, 11:08:24 AM »
....man I sure hope not to have to turn 100 calls before I come up with something I like lol....

If you're like most callmakers and you go about it the honest way, I'd count on it.   :yes:  Making a duck call that will please the vast majority of the duck call blowing population is a real feat.  Making one that pleases a buddy or two is a lot easier I've found. 

Check Toolnut for the price of the lathe.  The guys on the sawmill creek forum absolutely swear by that guy and his service and prices.  I believe you have to call him for prices.

I did see the 46-460 on there but will have to call for the other 455 I suppose....thanks for the info!