Author Topic: Grizzly G1025 On Craigslist, Thoughts?  (Read 6653 times)

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
Grizzly G1025 On Craigslist, Thoughts?
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:23:22 PM »
Found this older lathe with some new cutting tools...anyone think its worth it or look for a newer used machine?

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/2332996948.html

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• New Forum Member
Re: Grizzly G1025 On Craigslist, Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:34:51 PM »
My opinion is to stay away from the variable speed motors and look for a pulley drive lathe. They are safer and the motor will last much longer with less care. I don't think $125 is a bad price for this lathe, but I think you can do much better for not much more money.  :2:
Formerly known as Goosedown1

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:47:03 PM »
I agree, I'd avoid this lathe.  You'll have a lot more solid machine in a PSI, Jet, Rikon or Delta mini lathe.  Grizzly is not known for the quality or design of their lathes, and that one is an especially bad example....Weak bed, low weight, etc.

I respectfully disagree that staying away from a variable speed lathe is a good idea.  I wouldn't own a lathe without the vs feature.  You'll still have pulleys on most lathes, but in each pulley/belt setting the variable speed gives you a wide range of speeds, and that equals versatility and ease of use.  Opinions vary on the variable speed issue, but most of us that have vs models are glad we do........Kind of like automatic transmissions in our trucks.   :2:

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 05:40:24 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I will keep searching lol...I saw a Carba-Tech one pretty decently priced but noticed a lot of the info was all in MM on the actual homepage...

http://allentown.craigslist.org/tls/2322958551.html

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 08:45:24 AM »
The Carba Tech is not a good lathe for that price, or any price.   :2:  1/4 horsepower for instance.  That is underpowered for anything but pens (and soft wood ones at that) in my opinion.  1/2hp would be a bare minimum, and 3/4hp is even better.

Do yourself a favor and limit your search to PSI, Jet, Delta or Rikon. 

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 11:49:52 AM »
The Carba Tech is not a good lathe for that price, or any price.   :2:  1/4 horsepower for instance.  That is underpowered for anything but pens (and soft wood ones at that) in my opinion.  1/2hp would be a bare minimum, and 3/4hp is even better.

Do yourself a favor and limit your search to PSI, Jet, Delta or Rikon. 

noted!!! thank you so much for the opinion..he was really trying to sell it hard lol

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »
Kind of like automatic transmissions in our trucks.   :2:

I do agree with your automatic transmission comparison. For convenience sake, yes the variable speed is nice.
Formerly known as Goosedown1