Author Topic: A Few Special Order Deer Grunts  (Read 5455 times)

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
A Few Special Order Deer Grunts
« on: August 10, 2008, 12:22:23 PM »
One of my local customers came by and together we came up with a style, type of wood and all that good stuff for a deer grunt. OK, no big deal, we even settled on a price with engraving even.  :D THEN he tells me, "OK, Great, Now, I need 25 of them whenever you can get them done."  :o
Here is the result. These are ready to go get engraved. The final touches will be done when they get back. WHEW!!! It ALMOST started to become work. H also has a friend who ordered 25 more of them with engraving as well.

Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: A Few Special Order Deer Grunts
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 12:40:09 PM »
 ;D  WHEW!  That's some serious work there!  Its very impressive to see you put just as much work into #1 as #25 too!  Nice work!

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 12:52:42 PM »
Those are really pretty. And 26 there, made one extra just in case huh? Good thinking. That was a nice order. And a new order for another 25. That's great. Yep, when you get a big order like that it does become work and takes some of the fun out of it. But with preplanning it can be done pretty easily and makes you nice coin. Then you can get back to making them one at a time with the new stuff you bought with all that money.  ;D

By the way, those are great looking calls. I love the bands on them too. Very nice. And tell us more about the engraving. How much is it? Turnaround time? Mimimum order? Etc.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 03:49:09 PM »
Good eye Braz, I did make an extra to allow for set up and as a "test" piece. The feller that I have set up to engrave these is the one I was tlking about in another thread. The thing is, I hate to say too much until I see how these turn out. If they turn out like the other work I have seen from him then we have a winner. But if not, then the price is a moot point. From what he tells me, he figures o turn these in less than a week at his shop. add to that shipping, and it's looking like maybe 2 weeks total from the time they are boxed before I hand them to the customer. Maybe less depending on the post office of course. I'm honestly pretty excited about this feller. All he does is engrave game calls. So, shapes that are not flat or round objects and other stuff that makes alot of engravers "nervous" seems like n big deal to him. I'll keep you all posted. These are boxed and ready to go out Monday morning.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 04:01:52 PM »
Nice looking group of calls. I like the bands on them too. Looking forward to seeing the engraving.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 04:04:02 PM »
I forgot to mention, that the bands are copper tubing that I polished in a simular way as Al's tutorial.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:05:38 PM »
Outstanding !
I really like the style and lines of those calls.
I guess you got pretty good at turning them out.
What kind of wood is it, and what are the final touches ?
They look done to me !

June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 10:24:12 PM »
Nice batch of calls & Congrats on landing those big accounts!!  ;D Looks like there's gonna be about 51 happy deer hunters your way this fall!!  ;D
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 11:34:51 PM »
I was wondering about the process when you are turning that many calls. I am in the process of turning 25 calls. Started day before yesterday and will finish up tomorrow. I first cut the blanks and turned them all round. Then put on my chuck and drilled them all with a 5/8" drill. Then changed to a step bit and drilled mounted each again and drilled with the step bit. Then, before removing, used a gouge and finished the inside of the bell, including sanding. Then turned them around and did the mouth piece of each. That's where I am now, and am now mounting each one and turning the shape. That is the easy, fun part. Goes pretty fast too. When I'm all done, I'll mount up the buffer and buff all of them.

I have done this before and for me, doing it this way saves time because I don't have to keep changing the lathe setup. I only do one thing at a time to a bunch and it seems to go pretty fast. I get in a routine and seems to help with no mistakes too.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 03:22:30 AM »
That's pretty much how I do it as well Braz. I first set up and do the copper bands, then switch over the lathe for the call barrels. I cut down the cedar into blanks and then turn the barrels all the way to copper band and final sanding, even the friction finish. So that when I tak it off the mandrel it's done. Then swap over mandrels and do the reed holder/stoppers to the last step. Final step is to cut the o-ring grooves and fit the peices together. When I get them back, it will be one more final buffing, I'll even carnuba wax the copper bands, inspect, voice, tune and package then send them off to the customer. Just a few hours of fun all together.
Like you said, once your set up and doing one particular step, it's easier and more consistant to go as far as you can with the one setup on as many as you cn before swapping over the setup. Just have to be sure to keep your pieces all in order so they sty matched grin and color wise.
Sorry, the wood is eastern red cedar.
The next batch is th same call, wood and all except for the logo. I'll try to take more pics so you folks can see how I do the big orders better.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008

builderone

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
Very nice lookin calls there and good job on getting the orders.
Chad