The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > General Call Making Discussions

5/8" reamer

(1/2) > >>

BigB:

I've got some call blanks that I drilled a while ago.  And at the time, I used a 5/8" drill bit to drill them out with.  But now, they've shrunk a bit to where I can't get em on my mandrel.  I've heard some guys use a ream to get it back to size, but my question is to how they power the ream?  Do they power the ream by hand and just use a wrench to turn it, or do the chuck it up back on the drill press and run the ream through the bore?

Thanks,
Brian

Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls:
Bibb,I just use a my hand and a wrench.

BigB:

twalter,

Are you using a straight bore or a tapered reamer?

Thanks,
Brian

Al_at_THO Game Calls:
The blanks shrunk because they dried more.  It is easy to fix.  Just take your drill bt and run it through the hole by hand.  Use a pair of pliers or a wrench to get the bit through.

What you've had happen is why you should ALWAYS drill your blanks and then let them sit a few days to a week before drilling.   Usually, even with wood that is dry, there will be some shrinking.

You can use a reamer to open them back up if you want though.  It will give a cleaner cut than the drill bit.  But if you are going to sand and finish the inside of the barrel, that wont really make much difference.

Al @ THO

BigB:

I drilled about 15 blanks back in September.  I put one on my mandrel, about had it finished, and then did something dumb (my fault) to break the mandrel. :'(  So, I finally got a replacement mandrel, and the 5/8" holes are a bit small now.  I knew they would probably shrink, but didn't know they would shrink this much.  I usually don't worry about them shrinking, because I hand fit all of the toneboards in them about a week after the finish is dry on them.  That's how I usually deal with the shrinkage.  But it looks like I'll have to redrill or ream these out so I can get em loaded up on the mandrel.  I may try the drill bit first.  A ream looks like it'll run me about $32.

Thanks for the help.
Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version