Author Topic: 5/8" reamer  (Read 5447 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
5/8" reamer
« on: February 17, 2008, 11:27:32 AM »

I've got some call blanks that I drilled a while ago.  And at the time, I used a 5/8" drill bit to drill them out with.  But now, they've shrunk a bit to where I can't get em on my mandrel.  I've heard some guys use a ream to get it back to size, but my question is to how they power the ream?  Do they power the ream by hand and just use a wrench to turn it, or do the chuck it up back on the drill press and run the ream through the bore?

Thanks,
Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: 5/8" reamer
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:50:18 AM »
Bibb,I just use a my hand and a wrench.

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 12:37:36 PM »

twalter,

Are you using a straight bore or a tapered reamer?

Thanks,
Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 03:01:20 PM »
The blanks shrunk because they dried more.  It is easy to fix.  Just take your drill bt and run it through the hole by hand.  Use a pair of pliers or a wrench to get the bit through.

What you've had happen is why you should ALWAYS drill your blanks and then let them sit a few days to a week before drilling.   Usually, even with wood that is dry, there will be some shrinking.

You can use a reamer to open them back up if you want though.  It will give a cleaner cut than the drill bit.  But if you are going to sand and finish the inside of the barrel, that wont really make much difference.

Al @ THO

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:17:46 AM »

I drilled about 15 blanks back in September.  I put one on my mandrel, about had it finished, and then did something dumb (my fault) to break the mandrel. :'(  So, I finally got a replacement mandrel, and the 5/8" holes are a bit small now.  I knew they would probably shrink, but didn't know they would shrink this much.  I usually don't worry about them shrinking, because I hand fit all of the toneboards in them about a week after the finish is dry on them.  That's how I usually deal with the shrinkage.  But it looks like I'll have to redrill or ream these out so I can get em loaded up on the mandrel.  I may try the drill bit first.  A ream looks like it'll run me about $32.

Thanks for the help.
Brian

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:30:01 AM »
BigB Iam sorry I didn't see your post i use a stright reamer.

Offline GN-1

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 10:18:32 AM »
I took a cue from Al and made me a sander from a 1/2" dowel with a slit on the end. You can use 80 grit to "ream" the inside of the barrel after they shrink. It also works well for final sanding of the inside of barrels. Shawn

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 11:17:23 PM »

I ordered a reamer from McMaster Carr, and it came in today.  All I can say is WOW.  I wish I would have purchased one earlier.  It makes it a dream to get back to a 5/8 hole after the wood has shrunk.  About 20 seconds of reaming and presto - nice and clean hole.  Thanks for the help.  -Brian