Author Topic: best starter lathe?  (Read 19861 times)

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: best starter lathe?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 07:54:07 PM »
I do have the bed extension and wouldn't want to turn without it. Just makes it so nice being able to get the tailstock outta the way.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 08:42:27 PM »
What will I need to get turning on calls after I order a lathe?

The delta 46-460 comes with the following in the box:

12-1/2-in Variable-Speed Midi Lathe - 46-460
6-in Tool Rest
10-in Tool Rest
Tool Rest Base
3-in Chrome Face Plate
Spur Center
Live Center
Knockout Bar
Wrenches

may save me a little money lol....

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 08:45:08 PM »
Also curious if I can possibly get something going between a lathe and tools for under $700???

I don't have to get the top of the line lathe, I did see the RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch for $369 with free shipping...

I want something good to turn with but if the price isn't much more I would prefer to upgrade

Any input would be great,
Ryan

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 10:29:45 PM »
Decent 4 jaw chuck/jaws: $130-200
Collet chuck: $90
Mandrels: budget $35 per diameter
Turning tools:  Budget $150 for a basic selection at PSI's prices

I imagine if you add up the cost of the tools on most of our turning benches you're going to approach a couple thousand bucks.  The lathe is a small investment compared to all the other stuff you'll find a need for.

The bed extension is nice but is by no means necessary.  I've never had one and do not have the need for one.  They are available for Jet as well as Delta.  I agree that between Jet and Delta lathes, it is a Ford/Chevy debate.  Either will do the job and do it well.

Offline Donnie

• New Forum Member
    • http://www.facebook.com/kennedy.penwerks
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 12:25:52 AM »
Decent 4 jaw chuck/jaws: $130-200
Collet chuck: $90
Mandrels: budget $35 per diameter
Turning tools:  Budget $150 for a basic selection at PSI's prices

I imagine if you add up the cost of the tools on most of our turning benches you're going to approach a couple thousand bucks.
  The lathe is a small investment compared to all the other stuff you'll find a need for.

The bed extension is nice but is by no means necessary.  I've never had one and do not have the need for one.  They are available for Jet as well as Delta.  I agree that between Jet and Delta lathes, it is a Ford/Chevy debate.  Either will do the job and do it well.

KC speaks he truth... all of those accessories, sandpaper, finishes, and  LOTS OF OTHER GOODIES are going to blow the first couple dozen drafts of your "start-up" budget straight to Haties. You don't buy all those things you want all at once though. Think of it as a collection of stuff that you'll build up over time. It took me 6 years to get all of the things I ever wanted, yet I have another bucket list of things I want to get eventually... and I'm a minimalist by nature. Woodturning is a bottomless pit, so for now just figure out what you want to turn and the tools that will require, and start there. On the upside, with the tools and accessories you need to make friction calls (plus a bowl gouge), you can also turn bowls, boxes, and a lot of other cool things.

just for giggles, my start-up list would go something like this:

12" swing lathe (Rikon, Delta, or jet)

4 Jaw chuck (Barracuda 2 or Nova G3) tip - the Barracuda 2 comes with several jaw sets, the G3 comes with just 1 set

1 each of the following chisels-

1/8" or 3/16" parting tool
3/4" roughing gouge
1/2" spindle gouge
1/2" or 3/4" skew
3/4" square end scraper
3/4" round nose scraper
3/8" bowl gouge

8" slow speed grinder

Wolverine style sharpening system

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 07:38:38 AM »
So to keep this cheaper would I be better off getting the Rinkon since it has a bigger swing and tenth and is $200 cheaper or stick with a delta or jet and pay a little more.

Im not gonna go crazy with woodwork...probably just wood and acrylic calls so I am not wanting to kill the wallet...I am still considering a mini metal lathe as a dual purpose machine I would also be able to make accurate cuts and bore if I wanted to taper the insides etc...

I did notice the biggest thing between the Rinkon and Jet to the Delta 46-460 is that the Delta offers a 1hp motor and the others are either a half or 3/4 horse...not sure how much power I really need for call making in this instance...the lower hp models are also cheaper
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:05:55 PM by SnwbrdrRm »

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 07:20:38 PM »
1/2 hp will get most callmaking tasks done without problems.  I have a 3/4 hp Jet and have never wished I had more power. 

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 09:47:56 PM »
1/2 hp will get most callmaking tasks done without problems.  I have a 3/4 hp Jet and have never wished I had more power. 

If 1/2hp is good and 3/4 better then: I can get a Jet 1/2 hp for about $400...or I can upgrade some something bigger at 3/4 hp for a little more...

man I am so anal about picking the best thing for the price it is driving me nuts lol...

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 09:56:37 PM »
...man I am so anal about picking the best thing for the price it is driving me nuts lol...

Us too.   :stickman1:  Just buy something for goodness sake.   :rofl:

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »
...man I am so anal about picking the best thing for the price it is driving me nuts lol...

:bigup: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 12:01:51 PM »

If only it were that easy for me lol...I am still trying to get rid of some of my welding equipment to get this stuff!

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 12:24:24 PM »
I just saw that right off the bat I can save $100 just by going down to the 3/4hp Delta 46-455 instead of the 1hp 460-460...I can even get the 1/2hp JET JML 1014I for $350 (the variable speed model jumps to $470)

I have also seen the mini metal lathes delivered for about $600 and they come with a 3" chuck as well (I can then do the acrylic and also metal if I do so choose) I figured I would also modify the tool post and use it as a guide like on the wood lathes (may be a bit unsafe lol)

Also while my mind is wandering...I could convert the metal lathe to a small cnc machine after some more and a little more money lol....

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 12:54:21 PM »
Wish I had some of those machinist tools and talents you speak of. 

Can't offer much advice on the metal lathes you're talking about, but that little $350 Jet would serve you really well for wood and for acrylic work and as far as callmaking goes you'd never outgrow it.

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 05:04:46 PM »
Wish I had some of those machinist tools and talents you speak of. 

Can't offer much advice on the metal lathes you're talking about, but that little $350 Jet would serve you really well for wood and for acrylic work and as far as callmaking goes you'd never outgrow it.

thanks for the advice, I would probably not be turning anything other than duck or goose calls honestly, that is why a small metal working lathe appeals to me as I can make small products on it should I need to.

Also, with the metal lathe, the  cross slide allows for accurate cuts to be made prior to pressing on bands etc...I understand that turning on a wood lathe is an art but its hard for me to not think of accuracy as a machinist lol...it must be tough to get a .0005 or .001" press fit on those call bands, I presume most just glue them on and keep em snug that way lol

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 05:18:17 PM »
Dogcatcher tried to tell you the reasons a metal lathe isn't a good idea, but you do what you want to.  :surrender:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”