Author Topic: Pheasant call?  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Jim @ Gabor Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Pheasant call?
« on: October 16, 2010, 07:34:41 AM »
I recently had a request from a avid pheasant hunter for a pheasant call, never having a desire to pheasant hunt I don't know what that is and neither did he. He said he hasn't seen them lately or even used one before but always wanted to try a call. I couldn't find anything here about it doing a search. So my question is what is a pheasant call, are they imitating the male, female or may the sounds of  predators to coax the pheasant into making a sound or moving?

Thanks for any help
Jim

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Pheasant call?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »
I've pheasant hunted all my life and have never heard of a pheasant call.  Occasionally you'll run into someone that uses a redtailed hawk screamer call to scare the birds into staying put as opposed to running or flushing....But I have always doubted its effectiveness on pheasants. 

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »
We have used the hawk call on quail, some of the guys I know that pheasant hunt also use the hawk call for pheasants.  Does it work on pheasants?  I don't know, it has been 40 years since I had the chance to hunt pheasants.

:2guns:Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

adrian

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 01:08:28 PM »
here in the uk there is a lot of pheasant shooting, i can honestly say i have never heard of a pheasant call. have asked around and none of my friends have either..... but all intrigued

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 01:20:41 PM »
I have found them advertised on Cabelas website but the info doesn't tell you what the call is to sound like or how it works on the birds. I'm thinking the hawk you guys mention would be a good bet.

Birddog13

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 07:40:50 PM »
I have a store bought one. You can cackle with it. I have been hunting pheasant all my life and I have never used it. I think that it's a locator call is all. But I can make it cackle :yes:

Offline fgreen04

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 11:41:15 PM »
I know this is an old post but since I'm searching for someone to make me a custom pheasant call I came across this.  The call I'm guessing he was wanting you to build for him was a locator/flushing call.  Yes you can use a hawk call for pheasant, but that's when you want them to sit.  Most wild birds will run on people (and dogs) so people shrill like a hawk and they sit still so they don't get seen (killed)  If you've ever been pheasant hunting you've heard the cackle a pheasant makes when it flushes.  Well this call produces that sound, a little practice and you can use it in odd bursts to locate birds, and when you get close you can do that excited cackle to bluff them into flushing with the other "bird" they hear flushing.  And on that note, I started a thread looking for someone to build me a call, so if anyone knows of anyone give me a hollar.  Thanks guys!

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 06:48:44 AM »
Thanks for the good info. This has been on the back burner for me with turkey season coming up but will look forward to trying to make on of these again soon. I actually bought a masproduced pheasant call from a retailer, for research and development, but without knowing what its supposed to sound like,  it sounded like I was blowing a kids party favor.   The sound link you left on the other post will help

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »
I've pheasant hunted all my life and have never heard of a pheasant call. 

:huh:  If there are pheasants where you turkey hunt, you hear them in the morning.  You may just not know what you're hearing.

I hear pheasants call all of the time while turkey hunting in areas I rarely see pheasants.

When I am in KS turkey hunting where there are good pheasant populations compared to here, I hear more pheasants than I do turkeys. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »
The pheasants are socked birds here in PA. I've gone hunting once maybe twice years ago with a friend who has two dogs he uses to hunt them. I did hear them calling while out hunting and after hearing the sound clip refreshed my memory. Between hunters, coyotes and bobcats you wont see any here after midwinter and when you do its usually right where they stock them. Seems to be allot of people into it here though.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 10:50:57 PM »
Those stocked birds are raised like chickens.  They don't have the survival skills to make it through winter.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls