Author Topic: best starter lathe?  (Read 19858 times)

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
best starter lathe?
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »
I have only used engine lathes and Cnc lathes to make calls thus far and wanted Somme input on what it would take to get a good but semi cheap machine in my garage. I like working with acrylic gut want to do wood as well.

I am selling some of my welding equipment so I may have some funds after new decoy and gear purchases.

New miller coolmate 3 and miller hi frequency arc starter if anyone is looking

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: best starter lathe?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:07:12 AM »
At the lower end of the price spectrum, take a look at PSI's series of lathes.  Great bang for the buck and they have a fairly loyal following for good reason.  Jet and Delta will cost you a bit more, but are very good machines.  I'd recommend spending the extra money and getting a variable speed lathe, whichever brand you choose.

Offline Donnie

• New Forum Member
    • http://www.facebook.com/kennedy.penwerks
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 10:22:40 AM »
That's kind of a loaded question, but any name brand lathe ought to serve you well. Check out the Turncrafter, Rikon, Jet, and Delta lathes in the price range you're looking for, then go through the list comparing features. KC is right about the variable speed too. On a mini lathe I prefer 1 HP motors, but with proper technique and tool sharpening skills 3/4 HP motors will work fine. And all of the units pointed to so far have #2 Morse Tapers on the spindle and quill... to me, that's a big deal. When you do decide on a lathe, shop around to get the best price and shipping rates. I have a couple of good Delta outlets bookmarked if you decide to go in that direction, just send me a PM and I'll send you the links.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:35:33 AM »
Donnie's got a good point about the #2 taper.  Along that same line, try to get one with a 1x8tpi spindle.  Some of the cheaper brands like Shop Fox have 3/4x16tpi spindles and that can be a limiting factor for getting a wide range of accessories down the road.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:10:01 PM »

Here's a good selection of lathes to start looking at:
http://www.thogamecalls.com/PDF%20Tutorials/Some%20Current%20Mini%20Lathes%20On%20The%20Market.pdf

Marvin had a link somewhere on here that did a nice comparison of the specs on most all of the lathes.  Maybe he still has that link.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:13:02 PM »
I looked, I have no idea of where that link is. 

If your dollars can afford it, but the biggest you can afford, name brand, Jet or Delta.  The Delta 46-460 is the top of the line of the mini/midi lathes.  1 HP, with variable speed and reverse.  From there the sky and your funding is the limit.

Used lathes can be an option, but you have to know lathes before you buy used.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »
Are all of these solely wood working lathes? I know that small hardinges etc have cnc attachments that can be purchased for them pretty cheaply instead of purchasing as straight up cnc lathe...

thanks for all the insight above as well gentlemen!!!

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 04:17:06 PM »
that Delta 460 looks like a sweet little machine but where I get caught up is that fact that I cannot machine any metalic components if someone asked me to.

I found a mini lathe at HF (http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-x-12-inch-precision-mini-lathe-93799.html) for almost the same price as the 460 and I could do metal, wood and acrylic plus I would have the capability of precision cutting and I could surely use wood turning tools on it still with the proper attachment...

thoughts?

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »
The dust from the wood will shorten the life of the circuit board on the HF metal lathe.  They are not sealed well enough to keep the fine sanding and saw dust out of them.  I have a similar metal lathe, and I have to keep it covered up or I will have to buy a new circuit board, again.  I would imagine if I tried to turn wood on it, I would be buying circuit boards about once a year.  In an ideal world, you would have 2 lathes, one metal and one wood.  In my world I have 3 metal lathes, 5 wood lathes.  Most do not get used very often, 2 are really better suited for display, but I still use them.

Just as a side note, in my opinion CNC will only be of any great use after you have your design and if you are going into production of thousands per year.  You will have to have a pretty good reputation for great sounding calls before that time will come.

Marvin

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »
The dust from the wood will shorten the life of the circuit board on the HF metal lathe.  They are not sealed well enough to keep the fine sanding and saw dust out of them.  I have a similar metal lathe, and I have to keep it covered up or I will have to buy a new circuit board, again.  I would imagine if I tried to turn wood on it, I would be buying circuit boards about once a year.  In an ideal world, you would have 2 lathes, one metal and one wood.  In my world I have 3 metal lathes, 5 wood lathes.  Most do not get used very often, 2 are really better suited for display, but I still use them.

Just as a side note, in my opinion CNC will only be of any great use after you have your design and if you are going into production of thousands per year.  You will have to have a pretty good reputation for great sounding calls before that time will come.

What about acrylic? I will most likely will be doing more acrylic than wood? How do you keep your unit covered up? I really want am metal lathe so I can do any metal machining that may come my way and also do calls....

Marvin

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 08:41:14 PM »
I only do an acrylic call about once a year, and I make it on the wood lathe.

Marvin

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 10:48:04 PM »
Done correctly, acrylic makes ribbons, not dust. 

Offline SnwbrdrRm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 06:39:53 PM »
So everyone is saying that delta and jet are the best I see....what one is the better of the 2? I like the delta that has the option for the bed extension, probably will never need it beyond call making though...

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline J.Rode

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »
Never had a Delta, but have had two Jet's and they are awesome, well worth the money.  I am not not sure but I bet you can get a bed extension for a Jet too.  :2:

Jason

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 07:45:13 PM »
It is like Ford, Dodge and Chevy.  Pick one and hope you are happy with it.  They all were made in China, and possible in that same factory.

Marvin