Author Topic: composite decking turkey call  (Read 10688 times)

Offline J.Rode

• New Forum Member
Re: composite decking turkey call
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 10:18:39 PM »
Parker looks like you came over to the dark side, now your hosed.   :rofl:

Nice calls fellas, they look great.

Jason

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 11:52:31 PM »
Rode,  I'll be in real trouble when I finally jump into the real duck call making world thanks to watching you that day!   :2guns:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Lower Creek Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Lower Creek Game Calls
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 10:39:18 AM »
Hey Splash how did you get that gloss finish on the composite. 
John Hood
Lower Creek Game Calls
Author of "Today's Call Makers Keeping The Tradition Alive"

www.lowercreekgamecalls.com

Offline Splash

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 12:41:53 PM »
Tru-oil. I tried spar from a can and it took way too long to dry, why, not sure. tru-oil wasn't too bad, just make sure you use very little at a time since it does not suck into the material. The first coat I place on this one, was a normal one and it took me a bit to get it down to a thin/non messy later  :taz:. I am OK with it now and the one I just finished looks better too.
A veteran is someone (Man or Woman)who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable 'To My Country' for an amount "up to and including my life. "That my friends is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."

Offline MoHops

• New Forum Member
    • Hartman Woodworks Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 03:13:24 PM »
You can get a pretty good sheen on it by using Mother's Mag Wheel Polish as well.  It just doesn't get into the wood fibers like the tru oil does.  Still looks pretty good and doesn't take as long.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 03:14:43 PM »
I made this one the other day and sanded it to 800 grit, then buffed the material with tripoli rouge on the Beall.  It is mighty shiny after that.  

Only downside is that it is also mighty slick.  I may sandblast these in the future just to make them really easy to hang onto and harder to beat up!
This call took me under 20 minutes, start to finish including gluing in the soundboard and surface.  I really like this material as an option for folks that don't want to spend what I charge for a wood call.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:16:27 PM by theKCtermite »

Offline MoHops

• New Forum Member
    • Hartman Woodworks Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 04:19:30 PM »
Aaron

Now I see why Schutte gave you all those scraps.  What you have there is an old version of Correct Deck no longer available.  You don't know it, but you are sitting on a gold mine my friend!!!!  When this whole composite turkey pot thing becomes popular and people start collecting different calls made from different variations of composite decking, you will have the green hedge of composites!!  I can see it now.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Aaron

Now I see why Schutte gave you all those scraps.  What you have there is an old version of Correct Deck no longer available.  You don't know it, but you are sitting on a gold mine my friend!!!!  When this whole composite turkey pot thing becomes popular and people start collecting different calls made from different variations of composite decking, you will have the green hedge of composites!!  I can see it now.

I think I'm going to have to get some more from them then! 

What's so special about the stuff?  Just how solid it is?

Offline MoHops

• New Forum Member
    • Hartman Woodworks Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 06:23:25 PM »
I was just pulling your leg Aaron.  The only difference between that and the new stuff is there is a painted coating on the surface of the new stuff.  On a side note, Correct Deck and Fiberon are two of the most dense composites that I've run across so it is a good material to work with.

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
I made this one the other day and sanded it to 800 grit, then buffed the material with tripoli rouge on the Beall.  It is mighty shiny after that.  

Only downside is that it is also mighty slick.  I may sandblast these in the future just to make them really easy to hang onto and harder to beat up!
This call took me under 20 minutes, start to finish including gluing in the soundboard and surface.  I really like this material as an option for folks that don't want to spend what I charge for a wood call.

I think thats the 1st 1 piece striker I've seen you post.  Are you broken?

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 11:54:14 PM »
I think thats the 1st 1 piece striker I've seen you post.  Are you broken?

Nah, just changing things up a little.  Trying to get over my hatred for making strikers so I've been making some one-piecers.  I also just bought a big box of dymondwood for strikers.  Still keeping the two piece strikers in my bag of tricks but the one piece ones are sure a lot faster and easier to turn.

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 10:52:51 PM »
I can vouch that the composite decking pot call sounds great and the turkeys like it. I received one from KCtermite as a gift and the turkeys definitely like how it sounds.

You can get this stuff in 4x4" posts, so now I'm wondering how it would work as a duck or goose call....
Formerly known as Goosedown1

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 12:25:04 AM »
Posts!?  Yeah I've got to find some of that!
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 01:11:02 AM »
Yup, they sell 2x2 (nominal) ballusters for decks too.  Not sure what they actually measure though....Maybe 1-1/2"???

Offline MoHops

• New Forum Member
    • Hartman Woodworks Blog
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 08:28:29 AM »
Correct Deck and some others also come in 2x material as well!!  Let me do some looking around the lumberyard, I think we might have some pieces that I can give ya when we do the trade up.