Author Topic: composite decking turkey call  (Read 10675 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
composite decking turkey call
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:28:18 AM »
I have to give credit to Highlooker and as I recall MoHops for this idea, as I saw that they'd turned turkey pots from some composite decking material recently.  Jon and Ryan I hope you don't mind me taking a crack at it.   :whistling: 

The lumberyard gave me about 90 pounds worth of Correct Deck samples yesterday, as they were going to throw them out.  I'm glad I grabbed them.  I thought the sound might be a little muted/muffled because the stuff is so heavy but that doesn't seem to be the case.  I used a black anodized beadblasted surface and a glass soundboard.  It has great range...Soft quiet purrs and tree yelps all the way up to a box call-like ring that hurts my ears.  The striker is dymondwood, which I like with aluminum a lot.  Now I'm curious how this pot material would sound with slate.

The stuff turned best with carbide scrapers.  Makes a heck of a mess with very long plastic ribbons everywhere.  I sanded up to 600 just to polish it a little.  Took me under 30 minutes from start to finish....Can't do that with wood!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:33:28 AM by theKCtermite »

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: composite decking turkey call
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:47:16 AM »
Dang, that's sweet. I'm heading to the lumber yard today for some paint, I'll have to look at that stuff.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Splash

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »
Aaron,

One of the guys that works for me (we hunt together a lot) asked me if I could use some of that as he had just finished his back deck, so I did. He mentioned that material a day or two after I saw the post by Highlooker too. I have to agree with the mess, not only they are long stringy ribbons, but they are loaded with static (at least in my Baseman) and it stock to me... all of it  :taz: He wanted a slate surface. I made him a Slate over glass and it sounds great. I used a purple heart striker and the sound was quite good and loud enough. I went down to 800 grit, but no need for it, too fine. It is kinda slick for his taste, so I put a light tru oil coat.. He loves it.

Sorry I did not take any pictures, but if he did not take them to his house already, I get a picture at his desk.

Ray
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:27:13 PM by Splash »
A veteran is someone (Man or Woman)who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable 'To My Country' for an amount "up to and including my life. "That my friends is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:20:05 PM »
Cool stuff KC!  I'm no expert on composite calls.  I haven't had time to try a second one. 
Any idea I throw out on the forum I hope other folks try. 
I noticed you put more and larger holes in your call.  I need to try different/larger hole patterns.  Mine seemed to be a little muffled.  Being glass over titanium I figured it would be high and screechy.
My next one will be slate over glass and a little thinner walled.  Makes me wish I had some carbide tools.
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 12:36:46 PM »
I got some of this decking in the mail! (Wink wink!   :stuart: )

I'm looking forward to giving it a run.

The idea of using ceramic in it with an acrylic striker.....trying to make a 'close' to waterproof call is my objective!

I do NOT know how to make a pot out of this heavy of a material though, so I'm all ears.  Here or by PM.   :2up:

I tried to turn a call out of hedge here a while back, and it is really hollow sounding.  Went too deep inside of the pot I suppose. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Splash

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 12:44:48 PM »
Ceramic is what I just talked to him (the guy I just made the slate for)about. I might go tonight and make one ceramic/Glass (for me off course). I do not have any small acrylic, or a heavy old carbon arrow, but I might give a try at some wood/JB weld tip striker.
A veteran is someone (Man or Woman)who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable 'To My Country' for an amount "up to and including my life. "That my friends is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."

Offline MoHops

• New Forum Member
    • Hartman Woodworks Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 01:49:12 PM »
Well since I work at a lumberyard and sell this stuff on a regular basis, I'll fill you in on the good stuff.

Correct Deck (which is now called Siesta since GAF bought them out), TREX, Fiberon, Timbertech, ChoiceDek are all good choices for turning.  They are a plastic that is impregnated with wood fibers.  Some like Correct Deck will have more wood fibers than others.  There are some composites out there that are more of an extruded product that is almost foam like such as AZEK.  It is a lot lighter but will tear out a lot more.  As far as dimensions, I haven't really had to change all that much to get the same sound.  The call itself weighs a ton, but sound good with either slate or ceramic.  I've made one with aluminum and it's a screamer for sure.  My thoughts on the material is that it's kind of like using acrylic in duck calls.  The harder denser composite material allows a cleaner sound.  But that could just be me.  And yes it does create a crazy mess, but for the most part you can pick up a whole pile of it up at a time when cleaning.  I also burnish it after I am finished turning it to try and bring back some of the plastic color to it.  I've been meaning to try some Mag Wheel polish on it maybe even a slight flame to see if you can get a good sheen to it.  KC--Since the Correct Deck has more wood fibers I was thinking of trying to get a finish on it (maybe Tru-oil) and wipe off what the wood fibers don't soak up.
I'm pretty much out of samples at work right now  :whistling: (Have no idea where those went!!))  But when i get some in let me know if you want a piece or two and maybe we can work something out.  I'll get some pics up tonight with the pots that I've been turning lately.  Whew, hope that wasn't too much for you all.

Offline Splash

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 02:08:06 PM »
Here is the call as promised. Sorry for the quality, but as I stated, I am in the office so i had to use my phone.

Not too crazy about the finish, but that it what he wanted.

I was thinking of trying to get a finish on it (maybe Tru-oil) and wipe off what the wood fibers don't soak up.

I wasn't thinking when I did it and could not agree with MoHops any more.... very light coat of tru-oil will do. I put some as I do most,  :no: :down1: :taz: What a mess.... I guess I can say I have learned or like we all say in the Military; "Been there, done that, and I got the T-Shirt"

Ray

Offline MoHops

• New Forum Member
    • Hartman Woodworks Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »
Splash

You really brought the shine out on that one.  That looks awesome.  Gonna have to do some tinkering tonight I believe.

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 04:40:48 PM »
wow!!! i'll have to try some of that stuff

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 05:09:35 PM »
Well Shucks!! I guess i'll have to try it myself. :surrender:

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 10:46:21 PM »

I tried to turn a call out of hedge here a while back, and it is really hollow sounding.  Went too deep inside of the pot I suppose. 

Parker

Are you saying you made a round turkey call?  :rofl:

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 10:58:56 PM »
Surely not Vince, don't tell us that. :eek:

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 01:08:40 AM »
 :down1:  You suckers caught me good on that one!

I turned one to show my boy how I would go about doing one.  Then he turned one.  Both of these were out of cedar.

Well, the next day, I decided I wanted to make this call out of hedge to see what it would be like.   :innocent:

I can't use anything like hedge in my octagon design.  Things just fly in the wrong directions way too fast when you're using a very dense wood.

:innocent:  So yeah........I've made a couple.  I still like the octagon way better, but I've at least tested the waters now. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »
Proud of you Buddy.