Author Topic: Wormy Chestnut for cost style box call  (Read 2768 times)

Offline raalston

• New Forum Member
Wormy Chestnut for cost style box call
« on: March 23, 2011, 02:38:41 PM »
Anyone had any experience making a Cost style box call out of Wormy Chestnut? What wood works best for the lid, base, etc.? Although I have a large amount of Cherry wood I primarily use Black Walnut on the Mahogany, Poplar, Cedar, and Butternut boxes that I make. I'm thinkin Walnut should work well since Chestnut has a Janka hardness rating of 540 which is the same as Poplar. The squares that I have are very light weight and they have the worm holes.
Ron
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:46:31 PM by raalston »

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: Wormy Chestnut for cost style box call
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:35:55 PM »
I have in fact I still use that call to hunt with. Very raspy that's why I like it. I used a piece of Paudak for the paddle on the one I use. I have made others and I like using Black Walnut too but like any box make a few paddles and see what sound you like the best. My chestnut has worm holes and nail holes as it was reclaimed from some old barns. I checked the lid on this one I use but not the side. I found Chestnut to be easy to go too far with shaving the inside so I left the checks off of the side. So go easy with tuning if you check the box I find it sounds best with thicker sides could be a age of the wood thing too cause the stuff I have is over 100 years old and seems brittle to me. Good luck I think you will like it  :bigup:

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline raalston

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
Larry, i have reclaimed wood the same as you stated that you have and it does appear that it may be brittle and it is an exceptionally light weight wood (I bet it really vibrates well). I already have several Walnut paddles made up and ready to go. I typically prefer relieving the sides of a call by checkering to allow the lip of the sound board to remain thicker to aid in achieving the sound I want. I don't have any Paudak and don't have any knowledge of that particular type of wood. What preferential difference did you note between for example a Walnut lid and the Paudak?
Thanks for your input,,
Ron

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:36:35 PM »
Ron if you do checks do a 5 or 6 checks otherwise it gets almost too raspy. I think it's a age thing cause of the brittleness. Walnut will work  for you.
I know you can do it just take it slow when tuning and use more sand paper than the chisel.

Larry
Silver Life Member NWTF

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:40:06 PM »
Hey Ron as far as the paddle goes sand the walnut rather smooth as the Paudak is more of a closed grain wood than the walnut but it works.

Larry
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline raalston

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:56:23 PM »
Hey Larry, I found that there are three different types of Padauk. If you wouldn't mind telling me, which type Padauk did you use on your Chestnut box?
Thanks,
Ron
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:16:42 PM by raalston »