Author Topic: Where do you get your sandpaper  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Where do you get your sandpaper
« on: February 15, 2008, 02:16:29 AM »
Actually this question is two fold. One, what kind of sandpaper do you use and, two, where do you get it. Now I have to tell you that I am primarily interested in the higher grits. I do have good paper up to 500 grit I can find paper that looks pretty good, for the higher grits, some garnet and some silicone paper. Some places sell limited grit sizes and some extensive. Some sell one sheet at a time and some sell it 50 sheets minimum. I seem to find the suplier I like, for the high grit paper, is Online Industrial Supply http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/abrasive-sheets-silicon-carbide-waterproof-9--by-11--paper-sheets.html. The only problem is they want to sell 50 sheet minimum. But maybe that isn't bad. Just trying to learn from others before I jump in for the higher grits for too much money.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 11:53:35 PM by Al_at_THO »
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Where do you get your sandpaper
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:35:08 AM »
Klingspor Gold is what I use, but it only goes up to 400 grit.  I didn't think there was any other kind of sandpaper out there for wood turning.   ;D  (I have not ever held one).

I think finish it off with steel wool.

Very rarely am I working on something where I feel the need to go past 400.  My calls are made to be used, not put on a shelf (though sometimes, I understand that does not happen).

When I go past 400, I've just used the sanding pads that HUT has.  I like them, and I don't use them often.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:46:14 AM »
I have been a fan of Norton 3X paper for years now.  I buy the Jobber packs of 20 sheets, but it also does not go past 400.

For my finer grits, 600, 800 and 1000 I use Imperial Wetordry that I get from the auto parts store. 

Al @ THO

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 03:05:42 PM »
Braz how does the rolls from Online Industrial compare in quality to the rolls from Hut or PSI.  Not looking at cost, just the quality, Hut is Klingspor brand and is really hard to beat as for as quality.   Is Industrial Supply as flexible as Klingspor, would you say the grit is comparable?  I question this as it looks like the Industrial Supply rolls are more for metal workers than woodworkers.

I limit out on my field grade calls at 600 grit, don't think it is really necessary to go higher or really even pass 400 grit, but for the amount of time involved it is inconsequential.  In fact I rarely go pass 600 grit on any call.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 05:17:26 PM »
And I will also say this:  Grizzly J-weight cloth back paper does not hold a candle to Kingspor Gold.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 07:01:31 PM »
I bought those little boxes of 4 rolls of paper and this paper that I get from Online Industrial seems to be the same stuff. Can't tell the difference. I like it. And the price is great. Those are the rolls I have mounted in my sanding station you can see in the picture of my little shop. I have up to 500 grit there, as that is the highest they go. It is also the highest I usually go. Sometimes, I may use the micromesh pads for a special call, but usually just hit it with Triple E and then go to the oil. I am looking at the finer grits as I want to do some acrylic that I just bought from Al. That is why I will be needing grits finer than 500. Need them before hitting it with the brasso for the final polish.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”