Author Topic: Making an Owl Call  (Read 7893 times)

atracksler

Making an Owl Call
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:19:30 AM »
I bought the THO Game calls owl kit.

Im completely stumped at making one.

Looks like, from the pictures I can find here that I make it in 2 parts. The top part is a tube The top tube is about 4" long and has a 1 1/4" hole in it.
The Bottom part is a tenon which fits into the top tube. The bottom part is about 3" long, the tenon is about an inch long?

Im confused at making the sound chamber, can someone post a drawing in section of what it is supposed to be turned like?

Thanks a million, ad

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Making an Owl Call
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »
The owl kits are made the same as you would make a deer grunt call.   There is a tutorial here

http://www.thogamecalls.com/PDF%20Tutorials/TurningDeerGruntCalls.pdf

The only change you need to make is at the stopper end that the guts fit into.   Obviously you do not turn it to hold an extension tube, so you can vary the length.   The key is that you need to restrict the air flow coming out of the stopper.   Back Pressure is what makes these calls work.   There are several ways to do it.  You can use a 1/2 inch rubber bushing and insert it in the end of the call, or you can turn a piece of wood or metal down to 1/2 inch and glue that in. You will have to drill the wood or even the busing out.  The amount you restrict the air flow will depend on how long your barrel is and how long your stopper is.   Even restricted, you will still need to apply some back pressure with your hand over the end of the stopper.   

When I make owl calls, I have two different dowels drilled 1/4 and 3/8   I use them to tune the call to my liking.   Even then, you might still need to open up a bit depending again on the barrel length and the stopper length.  I like about a 4 inch long barrel and 2 to 2 1/2 stopper on my owl calls, but that is not set in stone.  I have seen some very good ones with 4 1/2 barrels and 3 inch stoppers, and I have made some with 3 1/2 inch barrels and 2 inch stoppers that worked well too.   Again, the key is to restrict the air flow coming out of the call.   

Let us know if you need more help, or, if you want you can always call the shop at 603-867-1018 and I will try and help as much as I can.

Al @ THO

atracksler

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:29:17 AM »
Okay. I got it figured out. Thanks to Al.

I made a diagram showing how the holes work..

So Ive got a working call. it sounds more like a duck to me than an owl... anyone have any tops on making it sound more owly?

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 03:03:15 PM »
cup your hands around the end of the call when you blow it.
Formerly known as Goosedown1

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:04:07 PM »
What do you say into the calls like this?   :huh:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:38:49 PM »
Say the words, "who cooks for you, who cooks for you?"

Cupping your hands around the end of the call will change the tone from the 'ducky' sounding noise into a more owl like echo.
Formerly known as Goosedown1