Author Topic: help with a hoot tube  (Read 7416 times)

aprilheadhunter

help with a hoot tube
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »
I finished turning my 1st hoot tube a little bit ago and threw a set of Al's guts in it. 
Anyone have any ideas on why it sounds like a duck call.  I cupped my hands over the end to help with back pressure and at one point I had it so closed off I couldn't blow through it.
The sound chamber is just under 4" long and has a 1/4" exhaust.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: help with a hoot tube
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Paul I've got to say that there's a serious lack of information on how to do owl calls online, and I've been wondering the same thing you're asking.  I've been wanting to try one but am not having a lot of luck finding a jumping off point.  Once turkey call season gets going (and after I quit taking turkey call orders so I can actually hunt) I plan to mess with them a little to see what I come up with.  In the meantime I'll be watching this thread with a lot of interest!

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:15:18 PM »
I've never been able to run a tube.  I just can't figure it out, and have never ran into anyone that could teach me.  I can hoot better with my voice than with that tube system.

I like kegs, and have had luck making one, but its a process that takes a while, and I still have not figured out how to secure the mouth peice well.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »
I've never been able to run a tube.  I just can't figure it out, and have never ran into anyone that could teach me.  I can hoot better with my voice than with that tube system.

I like kegs, and have had luck making one, but its a process that takes a while, and I still have not figured out how to secure the mouth peice well.

Parker

I have a hoot tube from HS that works great.  I've tried the kegs but they are not as loud as hoot tubes are.  If I could find my HS hoot tube it would be in pieces.

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 11:57:56 PM »
Got my hoot tube out, I will get you what info I can pretty quick here. It will be basic info though so that I am not infringing on anything. Some photos too.
Formerly known as Goosedown1

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 12:30:18 AM »
External dimensions are as follows:

Sound chamber is 3 1/16" long with a 1/4" exhaust.

Barrel is 3 11/16"

Diameter is 1 1/4"

Barrel and sound chamber inside diameter is 7/8" Sound chamber internal length is 2 7/8"

If this info is more than what can be termed 'public domain', let me know and I will delete it.

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »
Thank you for the pictures.   :bigup:

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »
I've been playing in the shop a little bit today.  I turned a new barrel today.  The length definitely will make a difference in the sound.  I was having problems with the reed locking up so I played with moving the reed in and out of the cork notch.  I also tried trimming the corners off of the end of the reed a little at a time similar to the pictures goosedown1 posted.  I have no experience tuning reeded calls so it kinda like trying to put a square peg in a round hole but I'm getting closer.

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 08:30:39 PM »
I made owl sounds today. :bigup: :bigup:
I'll post some pictures later tonight.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 11:00:18 PM »
I made owl sounds today. :bigup: :bigup:
I'll post some pictures later tonight.

:up1:  Sweet!  Like a HOOT, or like the sound they make when they hock up their pellet?   :rofl:

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got man.   :punk:  I want you to show me how to do it the next time we get together too!

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 01:10:16 AM »
here is a picture of the parts.  The barrel is about 4 1/2" long and has a 3/4" hole through it.  The sound chamber is
2 1/2" long and has about a 1" tenon, it has a 1/2" hole on the tenon end about 1" long, the exhaust end has a 3/4" hole.
I made the 2 plugs out of a 3/4" oak dowel by putting in the collet chuck and drilling a 1/4" hole through it and then parting off two pieces.  Make sure you sand the end of one of the pieces before you part it off or you will be parting off 3 pieces. :whistling:

The call has a double sound chamber the unsanded plug is covered in glue and pushed 1" into the sound chamber and the sanded plug gets glued in flush withe the end.

I don't know if this is how its supposed to be done, but it make owl sounds.  It won't win a contest but it sounds owl enough to make a tom talk.  I am gonna play around with this some more.  I'd like to get it to sound as good as my h.s hoot tube.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 09:35:02 AM »
Awesome man!  Next time we get together, I wanna see all this stuff!

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline MoHops

• New Forum Member
    • Hartman Woodworks Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 08:31:20 PM »
The only hoot tube I've ever been able to run real well is one from Hooks.  The Harrison Hoot'n Stick is one of the easiest I've ever blown and I can get pretty good sounds out of it.  I also like kegs but just can't get the best sound out of them.

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:54 PM »
Guys, I wasn't quite happy with the all most owl sounds I was getting outta my call.
After work I went and bought some mylar.  I made my own tone board cut my reed with some scissors and played around with it all for about 2 hrs. 
It sounds really good but locks up if you blow to hard.  I think its locking up because the only mylar I could find was .007.
I couldn't find my 1/2" dowel and was to lazy to turn one so the wedge was robbed from a grunt call kit.  :whistling:

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 11:38:23 PM »
Very nice, glad my photos helped. An owl hooter is high on my list of calls to make. I want to be able to toss my plast :censored: one out.