Author Topic: Tone Board Jigs..  (Read 16354 times)

builderone

Re: Tone Board Jigs..
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 02:34:38 AM »
I've kicked around the idea of picking up a jig or two to use as learning tools.  Keep thinking I'll find a used one, but they seem to move pretty quick.
 Ghak99 Do you make predator calls that is probably what I will try first I am used to that shape and I still yet to make a duck board I really like.
Chad

Offline ghak99

• New Forum Member
  • Ducks, Dogs, & Calls
    • Muddy Creek Inc.
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 03:17:40 PM »
Ghak99 Do you make predator calls that is probably what I will try first I am used to that shape and I still yet to make a duck board I really like.
Chad

I've made a few, but not many.   

Bill

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 06:45:13 PM »

builderone

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 08:43:02 PM »
That is a nice lookin jig there on ebay And for that price a good deal maybe I won't make them if thats what they go for.
On the post that I put up before this one Ghak99 his post is in mine also with my post. That was odd.
Chad

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 09:01:36 PM »
He used the quote button Chad so we all knew he was referring to what you said.  The jig was for a duck call though, not a howler or distress. I think I've only seen one howler jig on ebay and that was three times the asking price.  I know it sold for over $250.00 . Don't remember who the seller was. It must of been close to a year ago.

John

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

builderone

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 10:47:22 PM »
I was talking about in my post on the top of this page I only wrote the bottom part of it the top part was what ghak99 had said before. With my tools I can not keep  +/-.001 he must have a fadal ,haas or monorch to keep those tolerances I could do them at work but not here.I am not that picky myself and if the buyers are I can't do it. I can copy a tone board  to keep the sound but not +/-.001
Chad

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 10:58:55 PM »
LOL.... I don't know how you did that without copy & paste.

Well if you don't make them to sell you can still make old dad one. 

Going out in the shop. Catch ya later.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline GN-1

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 07:28:03 AM »
   I would not get to torn up about which jig to buy. They are just a way to get a good cork notch and a slope to work from. More than half the battle is tone channel length, channel bore size, amount of back pressure relief reed size and length etc. etc.
   The reason I suggested Wades mandrel is because I think he is putting in the little screws under the board. These let you change the slope until you find something you like. I did this with duct tape and a 2g jig to get to the jig I am on now. A big part of the fun of doing this is the challenge of figuring out all of the variables involved just to make it quack :D :D :D Shawn

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 10:07:52 AM »
I am from the old school on this.  Some of you may not appreciate what I am saying but here it is anyway. 

You can buy all of the best tools on the market, spending thousands of dollars.  They won't be worth scrap iron prices if you don't know how to use them.  The first thing about callmaking is learning everything you can about how your tools operate.  There is no quick way to learn, it takes time and experience and that can be shortened if you find a local woodturner to help you.  I have spent over 40 years in woodworking and I still learn something all of the time.  You have to make a lot of wood chips to get the basics down.  In the long run once you learn how to use the tools it will save you many hours.  Your sanding time will go down to near nothing, your finishes will improve. 

To learn to use the equipment, join some woodworking forums.  Join the American Woodturners Association, and the local chapter.  Attend the meetings.

Back to the jig, I bought my first jig a couple of years ago.  After over 40 years of doing without and making my own I finally bought a used jig.  The calls are no better sounding than what I had been doing before.  Look at every tool purchase as a "Do I need it or is this just another toy I want?"   Way too many newbies want every tool, when they have spent a small fortune on the equipment then they want the perfect sound with out paying the dues of knowing how all of the equipment works or even how the call really works.

Think about what you need.

Marvin

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

builderone

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 10:37:33 AM »
I agree with you marvin I am a new guy for sure and I am glad that I am learning the way that I am I by no means make the best sounding calls or nothing and don't plan on being the best any time soon. I like the old school aproach myself. I like to build things though and if it helps  people, that is great. I read this post and it got me thinking about the jigs I mostly build howlers because I can make the boards by eye as for the ducks I can not do it consistently. my wooden jig I built made it easier to hang on to it. I use it as a guide I make my cut close to the jig then take it out to finish sanding I had no idea that they were shootin for tolerances that tight to me that sounds crazy completeing the board in a public  jig like that kinda takes the custom done by hand out of it but everyone has there own thing. I am going to still try building one out of steel to see what  I get but it is not going to be something these guys want I will be able to copy the board but it will be more like +/-.005 at best. I don't have a ton of high dollar tools but the tools I have I know inside and out I have run equipment forever. the lathe was the only tool that I had not run up till this year I am getting used to it but I don't have it mastered for sure.
Chad

Offline Swamp Puppy

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 09:43:32 PM »
man...i knew i should have just started out by whittling on some wood with my old pocket knife. 
Old Enough to Know Better...Young Enough Not to Care.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 10:01:17 PM »

There's a couple of steel jigs for sale right now here:

http://www.customcalls.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1217271429

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Swamp Puppy

• New Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 11:31:33 PM »
Thanks B..
Old Enough to Know Better...Young Enough Not to Care.

Offline flockstopper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 02:55:33 PM »
man...i knew i should have just started out by whittling on some wood with my old pocket knife. 

Now that is funny right there!!  I agree with Shawn, I have one of Wade's public jigs with the screw holes and have learned a lot from that.  I also agree that most of the battle is the channel length and backbore, etc.  Altough I have found a couple of little tweaks here and there I like as well.  I was also glad to see others using wood jigs, My very first jig was wood, but I couldn't keep the sides of the jig parallel, so I gave in for a metal jig for a good square notch.  I would post a sound file of my first call I made with that wood jig, but you wouldn't be able to hear it because it doesn't make any sound!!!  I figured out how to get some sound off of that jig but couldn't get all the "dips" out of the board.  So I have paid a few dues doing things the "hard way".

Brian

Offline GN-1

• New Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 11:08:53 PM »
Brian,
   Let's see a picture of the calls in your avatar. I do not think I have seen those yet, they look sweet from what I can tell. Shawn