Author Topic: Striker prices  (Read 4113 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Striker prices
« on: March 05, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »
Question for you guys that sell custom calls.  Just trying to spawn a little discussion...

I often get customers that ask for two or three strikers with their custom call.  I always include one striker with each call in my price, but as I was slaving away on some additional strikers for a customer the other night I started pondering if I'm charging a reasonable price.  If someone's buying a call w/striker from me, I'll do additional strikers for $12 each.  I make two-piece strikers with hollowed heads and they take a good half hour to make, not counting finishing.  So I don't really make a heck of a lot of money on them after materials, tooling and paying Uncle Sam his cut.  Given the work involved I don't think I'd ever charge less, but I'm really wondering what other callmakers in the same position are doing?  What do ya'll charge for extra strikers?  $10?  $12?  $15?  $20?  More?  I can go to Cabelas and get a $9 striker but most of those aren't on the same level that many custom callmakers are putting out, so there's no sense in trying to compete with those price-wise.  I've seen strikers posted on this site that probably took a very long time to make and are worth quite a bit in my opinion.   :bow:

The way I'm trying to look at it is that I make a sizeable profit on the call itself and the first striker that's included with it, so making more money isn't such an issue.  I've had people order 5 or 6 strikers and at that point I'm almost like making them for free, which isn't the goal either.

Offline Lon @ First Flight Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • love that quack whackin'
Re: Striker prices
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
Per striker:

Retail $20.00 to an individual

Wholesale $15.00 to a company that may move more stock for me.

If I add a waterproof striker tip I add $5.00 to both.

I am not just in this for the enjoyment (although that is there and has value to me) and I feel that here really is value to my time.

Just my  :2:

Lon
Government can't solve the problem...Government is the problem. Reagan

Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:59:55 PM »
I can make strikers from start to finish on less than 15 minutes, some in 10 minutes, when I make them in batches of 12 or more.  I sell them for $10 to $12 depending on the wood and where I am selling them.  I figure I clear on an average of $8 after all of the expenses. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Shane at S.P. Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 01:29:51 PM »
Dang It takes me about 45 to an 1 hour to make just one. What are the size blanks do you use?
S.P. Game Calls(flydowntn)

Trust GOD

woodwzrd

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 02:30:19 PM »
I can make strikers from start to finish on less than 15 minutes, some in 10 minutes, when I make them in batches of 12 or more.  I sell them for $10 to $12 depending on the wood and where I am selling them.  I figure I clear on an average of $8 after all of the expenses. 

Marvin

Holy smokes that's fast. Are you putting a finish on them? on a good day I can get tehm done in 30-40 minutes with a finish.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 03:23:20 PM »
1" square blanks, turned, sanded and then dipped in about 12 plus minutes.  Next day one more coat of finish, about a minute.  I have been using a lathe for for over 45 years and I am using methods that have been refined over my lifetime.

Marvin

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 03:35:37 PM »
Mine take me a little longer because I make the two piece variety with a hollowed end on the head.  I can turn a one piece striker in no time flat but rarely do mine that way.  Plus I'm a sanding fool....220 to at least 800, sanding on the lathe and then with the grain by hand with each grit.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »
These predator calls, my field grade version, drilled with a 1/2" bit, then drilled with a 9/32" bit, then reversed and drilled with a 3/8" bit.  Turned and sanded to 600 grit and one coat of Tru-Oil takes 14 minutes.  These are similar to the handles on my 2 piece strikers, the difference is I only drill twice, a 1/2" for the hollow handle and then reverse for the 5/16" bit, then turn, sand and one coat of finish.  Again this is doing at least a dozen at a once. 

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 04:06:14 PM »
Found one of my 2 piece strikers, these are the less than 10 minute versions, one hole drilled for the dowel, turned, sanded to at least 600, then one coat of finish.  Next day another coat of finish, maybe 30" seconds. 

Offline Shane at S.P. Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
Well it helps having that many years involved. Ive been doing would turning for about a year now. Been maching work for about 12 years. Theres a little bit of difference but you got to watch the wood.

Shane
S.P. Game Calls(flydowntn)

Trust GOD

Offline KnockEmDeadCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 03:51:55 PM »
I always buy 2x2x18 balnks from west penn hard woods then rip them in four pieces and then cut all four pieces to 9 inches. It usually takes me about 20 minutes to make them with a finish, so i sell them for twenty bucks per three that way im getting about 7 or 6 bucks out of them minus the cost which is around a dollar or a buck fifty leaves me with 5 bucks profit. Sometimes I'll sell them for 10 dollars each but I find that people atleast in my neck of the woods dont get excited about paying more for custom work, most would rather run to walmart and buy cheap stuff.

Ethan
Ethan