Author Topic: Beware of Call Makers Supply  (Read 12868 times)

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Beware of Call Makers Supply
« on: February 13, 2008, 10:51:34 PM »
Before I start, I want everyone to know I am not interested in getting into some kind of a pissing match. I just want everyone to know of the unpleasentness I have had to endure and wanted to share it. If you have had good luck with RW Erwin, good. Just wanted to share the other side of the story

On Jan 2, 2008, I purchased some call bodies from abednegocalls on e-bay. I later found out the name of the outfit is callmakerssupply.com and the paypal went to rwerwin@loganrec.com. Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent to him on Jan 28, 2008. In it are the details up to that date.

I am writing to you to give you an opportunity to make good on the purchase I made from you. Here is the time line.

On Jan 2, 2008, I paid for the 20 duck call barrels identified in the subject line. It was confirmed that you received the payment, along with my shipping address.

On Jan 17, 2008, I received a message, via e-bay that you needed my address to ship. What? It was already given to you three weeks prior. However, I send the address to you on that day.

On Jan 21, 2008 you responded to my inquiry, that, according to your records the items were shipped on Wednesday or Thursday. You did not indicate a date, but since Jan. 21 was a Monday, I must assume you meant Jan 16 or Jan 17. Which is it? Just what records don't show what day it was shipped? Anyway, I send a message and said I would give it a few days, since Monday Jan 21 was a holiday.

Well, here it is Monday evening, January 28, 2008. I still have not received the Duck Call barrels. More over, like a fool, I purchased 10 Louisiana Style Duck Call Sound Boards and Reed Mylar, E-Bay number 200192930439. These were paid for via PayPal on 1/23/2008, again with a shipping address included, and confirmed to be paid to you. Guess what, I have not received these yet either. Big surprise.

I want to you send the 20 duck call barrels that I ordered, and the 10 sound boards I ordered, by overnight mail. These are to be in my hands by the end of the week. By the end of the week, I mean, so it is very clear to you, and to give you ample time, in my hands by February 2, 2008. If I have not received them I will be forwarding all this documentation to e-bay and demanding full payment and that you be rejected as a sell.

If you have any questions you may feel free to send me an e-mail.

This is a copy of the e-mail I received back from him.

Wow! aren't we a big shot with our demands and threats, Let me make it VERY CLEAR TO YOU, I HAVE SHIPPED THE ITEMS........ If something has transpired to keep the from you, such as postal error, adress problem etc. I'm sorry but I'm not a crook, and have always worked with anyone who has had a problem with my items or shipping, as you can see by my ebay feedback. You can contact ebay for your money back. I'm tired of responding to your emails over and over. If you wanted them reshipped or your money back say just that, don't push your childish threats at me and think I will respond well.
Feel free to call me, my # is in my ebay profile if you want to handle things like an adult.

At this point I initiated a claim via PayPal. We did the resolution thing, both submitting our side of the story, and when it was obvious we were not getting anywhere, I elevated it to a full claim. This was on the evening of Feb 28, 2008. Then on Feb 29, 2008, I received the following e-mail from Erwin.

I read your last post on your dispute, and it comes down to this. You want the product and not the cash because you know there is no other place you can get $110.00 worth of world class merchandise for $25.00. The duck call tone boards you want have been sold world wide, and to high aclaim. My products are championship proven. Hell if you've ever shopped at Cabella's or any major hunting outlet, you more than likely already own one of my designs, under one name or another. I know why your buying my stuff, because you can't do it on your own. And so it will make you the local hero if you can even get half a clue as to how I do it.  But your no Call Maker, No...Your a pain in the ass little nobody. Your not worthy of my parts. I have blocked you from even bidding on my ebay items, and have a "No Ship" designation on you on my website. I'm not interested in dealing with a wanna be putz like you. I tried to have some tact but, asswipes like you tend to erode normal,  decent tact from otherwise good people.

It was obvious that there was no point in responding. However, on Feb 7, 2008, I received the tone boards, from the second order, which I had paid for on Jan 23, 2008. The post mark on the package was Feb, 5, 2008. This was a substantial time from the Jan 23 purchase date. However, I felt I needed to let him know. So, On Feb 7, 2008, I sent him this e-mail.

Despite your most vile e-mail, I continued to have hope that you would do the right thing. In fact, today I received the tone boards. The Posting date from the Post Office was Feb 5, a substantial time from the Jan 23 purchase date. However, you did ship, and for that I would like to say thanks.

Just for the record, I am still hopeful that you will ship the bodies and relieve both of us from this unpleasantness. As to the use I am planning, no, I am not planning on being the local hero, as you put it. I was simply attempting to buy some inexpensive parts to make some inexpensive calls to give away to the youth of my area. I would not even think of putting my name on these, made by someone else. I make my own calls which I sell under my name, not someone else's.

Again, I thank you for doing the right thing on the tone boards and hope you will see your way clear to do the same on the bodies.

Today, Feb 13, I was notified by PayPal that my claim has been granted.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 11:52:36 PM by Al_at_THO »
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

blacky

Re: Beware of Call Makers Supply
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 11:11:02 AM »
I also had an experience with this guy Erwin. I ordered some parts from him and received an order confirmation but no shipping date. Here is my message to him and his reply:

To: rwerwin@loganrec.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 10:13 PM
Subject: My Order

I placed an order yesterday and then sent an email asking when it would be shipped but I haven't heard back from you.

When and how will my order be shipped?

Gene Blackshire
Gene's Turkey Calls

rwerwin@loganrec.com
Compose Email
Gene,
It will ship when the P.O. is pulled provided all parts are in stock.

Thanks

ME
Thank you for your response.

Will you please let me know when it is shipped and if you have all the pieces. If you don't maybe I could get something to replace what is out of stock.

No response from him.

Me again
Erwin,
I have asked you a couple times when my order will be shipped and haven't received a satisfactory answer from you at this time. Please tell me when my order will be shipped and by what method or refund my money to my PayPal account.
I don't mean to be a bother to you but do like some communication when I place an order.

Thank you,

His reply

Gene,
Your order will be processed and shipped in the order it came in we are in the middle of a serious jump in sales. We are also back ordered on several items. Please be patient as we are trying to keep up. If you want communication further than this call 937-666-6818, but keep in mind I spend most of my time answering emails and catering to panic attacks, when I could be making and processing parts.

Thanks,
Rob

ME
I am not in a panic attack but would like to have a date of shipment or something in the ballpark of when it will be shipped.

His answer

at this point all I can do is answer emails, no way to say for sure.

ME
Please refund my payment back to my PayPal account.

Him
This is not an option, Your order has already been shipped. I'm sorry your patients is so short with me, but WOW, I can only get to so much work done in a day when one guy sends me 3 or 4 emails on the same subject. Sorry for the delay the mylar for your reeds was on back order.

ME
What I actually wanted was the products I ordered and am glad they have been shipped.

I have been in this business for 30 years and you are the first business that I have dealt with who couldn't give me an approximate shipping date and I just can't understand that. That is all I ever asked from you.

Thank you,
Gene Blackshire

I am an understanding person and know that in a business some things don't work as we want them to but if this guy had explained to me in the beginning, all of this could have been avoided.

Was I asking for anything to hard for this man to understand? All I asked was for a shipping date and he couldn't or wouldn't give it to me. IMO he showed what kind of a jerk he is and more important, what kind of business he runs. He has no worries of me ordering from him again and he is wrong, there are other places to get the same products.

I did receive the order a few days later but think it was because I pressed him for a shipping date.

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 11:43:45 AM »
Wow, I wish I could have posted this earlier and saved you a lot of problems Blacky. But I was waiting for the claim thru PayPal to clear before I went public. I did notify a few people privately, but wish now I had spoke up sooner. It is better and easier to pay a bit more than to deal with such a jerk. What is wrong with people like this? It saves so little to be nasty, and costs so little to do the right thing. As most of us on here, if a customer has a problem with a call of mine, I will take care of it. Replace it, whatever, I just want good relations. It pays off in the end. Word of mouth is so powerful, and jerks like Erwin just don't understand. I really got a kick out of him trying to tell me I was going to be the hit of the neighborhood using his parts. If they are so good, why is he selling them for a buck on e-bay. DUH!
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

blacky

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 12:43:06 PM »
I am sure you know that someone who pats himself on the back like this guy does is trying to cover up for his short comings.

He also has a bad habit of name calling which is uncalled for when people are trying to get what they paid for. If my order hadn't arrived I was going to file a complaint with PayPal as well. I bought directly from his web site and only items that were in stock according to the site. Then he tells me the hold up was because of back ordered mylar. Had he told me up front this was the problem, I wouldn't be writing this right now.

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 01:00:27 PM »
I know, I waited 26 days before "demanding" some action, and he goes ballistic. What does he want me to do? And for the record, I have still not received the call bodies, so they were never shipped! He says they were shipped but can't prove that. Well, if you don't get delivery confirmation, which I don't when I ship, then when the customer says it didn't arrive, after a reasonable amount of time, you just reship. Easy. That is the way to ensure that your customers are happy. I have not had anything get lost in almost three years. So if something does, and I have to reship, well, that cost is considered cheap insurance in my book.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:05:39 PM by Braz »
Braz

blacky

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »
I once sent some mouth calls to a woman in Canada and after a while she sent me an email telling me they had never arrived. I sent her another box and about 2 weeks later the first order arrived. She was buying for her sons birthday and I told her to give him both orders, one present from her and the other from me.
The only other time I have had a complaint about a package not arriving, after the guy checked with the post office he found it there not delivered when it was supposed to be.
Customer satisfaction means a lot to me and I go overboard to see that they are satisfied with my products and me as a business person.

Erwin doesn't do any of those things.

Offline kkbait

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 09:00:17 PM »
Glad you posted this. I was going to buy a toneboard jig when he came out with them but now forget it... Does anyone else sell toneboard jigs for predator calls??
thanks Dave
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:02:35 PM by kkbait »

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 09:31:56 PM »
I think there was a guy on CCO who was going to make them a while back.  He was the same guy doing the expanding mandrels that caused such a fuss.  I will try the search feature over there and see if I can find him. 

Other than that, I don't know of anyone else who makes them.  Quackerstacker was the only one knew who ever made them.

What we need, is a tool maker who could make them.  It is something I have been wanting to check into, and maybe this summer I will take a look around here and see if there is anyone who can make one that I could sell without having to charge an arm and a leg for. 

There is another way to make one that I saw Rich Cronk use a few years ago.  I don't rememember where I saw it but basically he took two metal corner brackets and screwed them to a block of wood.  Then he center drilled the block and it looked like he use a file to file the wood and metal edges down to his arch.   He could then cut the tone board out on a jigsaw or a band saw and do the final finsihing by hand.   I think it is a real option for guys if we can't find someone to make a metal jig.   

One day, I might mess with the idea and see what I come up with, or we can start a discussion here and just gather ideas to get one made up and the do a tutorial on how to make one. 

Al @ THO

Offline Homochitto Hollow

• New Forum Member
  • Most Wanted
    • Homochitto Hollow Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 10:23:17 PM »
Wade Carpenter with Webfoot Custom Calls has a CNC Lathe Service and can make pretty much any type tone board.....I have some of his machined duck call toneboard and they are great.  He is a little pricey, but you get what you pay for....I think a good tone board jig is worth paying for....

www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Bubba

Homochitto Hollow Woodworks

www.homochittohollow.com

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 11:27:50 PM »
I have looked at Wade's but they are for duck calls. I am not interested in a duck call, I would prefer a predator call. I suppose I could use a duck call jig to make a predator call, because I know that is how they use to do it. But I hate to spend the kind of money that Wade wants to get a duck call jig that may or may not do what I want it to do. River Mallard Enterprises makes them too. He sells them for $90. Don't know anything about it but he sent me a message today with the prices in it in reply to my querry about some osage that he sells.

I like Al's idea of finding somebody that can make them up without charging a fortune. they don't look like they would be that hard to make for someone with the machinery. Hell, I have a problem even cutting my own brass bands.  :(
Braz

Offline Homochitto Hollow

• New Forum Member
  • Most Wanted
    • Homochitto Hollow Woodworks
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 06:21:06 AM »
If you send Wade a CAD drawing of what you want....I suspect he could make it.  The price tag would probablly be hefty...............As to River Mallard, I deal with Doug Hess over there alot...he is a stand up guy and always gets me what I want.  He has some great duck calls too.

Being in the South, I have tons of Osage.....if you pay shipping, I could send you a few pieces.....I will be getting a ton of it in May when mother in law has a huge oasage tree scheduled for the tree trimmer....

Bubba

Homochitto Hollow Woodworks

www.homochittohollow.com

Bucko

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 10:10:29 AM »
Thanks for the info. on your dealings guys.Wow,both cases sounds aggravating.I've had only one raw deal on internet dealings and it turned out the guy actually got sick and was hospitalzed for 2 mths. I received my item late but I got it.

Offline kkbait

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:16:01 AM »
Braz do they have a website showing the jigs??
thanks Dave

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 11:39:25 AM »

Offline Lonehowl

• New Forum Member
  • Varmints Inc. Custom Calls
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 11:54:37 AM »
Hi guys,
another option is to get some square tubing and (I got mine from Mcmaster Carr) the size you need and using a belt sander, files or whatever, grind your toneboard profile, then drill a hole in the top ,tap it and put a bolt in to hold your stock, just like a duck call jig. Youll be suprised how well it works.

It will not be hardened like a good jig but it will get you down near your profile then finish up by hand.

Just a thought..