Author Topic: .223 bullet pen  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
.223 bullet pen
« on: February 23, 2011, 06:28:03 PM »
will after lots of trial and error I got the bugs worked out of the .223 bullet pen real pain expanding the neck to accept the 7mm brass tube...
here is another pen I just finished made from redwood burl....I have wanted to do something in redwood burl for long time just wish could get my hands on bigger piece that doesn't cost arm & leg has any one gone to Woodcraft web site a bought the wood from New Zeland that is over 5000 years old yet? would love to see what it looks like. I made another desert camo barrel I saw navy camo once but can't find it again if any one has seen it could you direct me to it I have 2 nephew's in the navy and want to turn them some bullet pens with the navy camo for tops....
Repeat

Will Hunt For Food

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
Re: .223 bullet pen
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:13:54 PM »
Very nice. I think the Redwood Burl is exceptional.  :2up:
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »
Those all look really nice. Yep, that redwood burl sure does make for some nice pens. I got some a couple of years ago and loved the pens, and the calls, it made. Being out here in California, try hitting the yard sales, swap meets and such. Sometimes you can get some really good buys on the burl clocks. That's what I did several years ago. Got 5 old clocks that didn't work anymore, for $10 for the bunch. Man, got some great wood from them.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »
You mentioned that you had a hard time expanding the neck of the .223 case to accept the brass tube.  I know another guy that makes bullet pens and uses a .308 case for his.  I imagine it'd be easier considering the wider diameter of the neck.  Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth :D
http://kmcalls.webs.com/

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Offline us_male_man

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »
PSI has  the navy camo, when i make the 223 cal pen i trim the tube with a skew after i solder the tube to the shell. I gring the big end of the bullet and melt the lead out, then drill the bullet for the ink insert to fit. drill the 7 mm tube with 1/4 drill a 1/4 inch for the transmission and voila a true bullet pen

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 10:07:34 PM »
thanks I thought PSI had the navy after while every thing starts to look a like I had a friend turn metal rod that is tapper-ed few 1,000" and I slowly run it through the 7mm hole at the case head then just keep working it into the mouth till it is expanded enough I quit using real bullets few months ago because the ones being shipped to the troops where being confiscated at the air ports even after you showed them it had no primmer and a ink cartridge and it wrote??? I get a head ache with all the dumb A..'. that walk this planet and they breed!!! I think they where just taking them for there self's...
Repeat
Will Hunt For Food

Offline us_male_man

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 10:13:26 PM »
I forgot to tell you that you have to cut the end of the ink tube off a little bit. I heard about them taking the pens that way. the navy camo is in a different section than the regular camos.

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 11:30:47 AM »
Thanks male man I found them last night that was why I was having trouble I knew I had seen them on line but even after you type in camo blanks it just had the desert/woodland camo
I heard that the airport security said that it was because of the powder residue in the cases but I'm not buying that mine are all washed then tumbled then rinsed again even if that was so it is a functioning pen no primer I guess it's the times we live in ( but again these are our boys in uniform ) not some guy that fits the profile of a terrorist ....
Repeat
Will Hunt For Food