Author Topic: Wormy Chestnut Set  (Read 3016 times)

Bucko

Wormy Chestnut Set
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:52:06 PM »
   I thought I'd take time to add some pictures of a Buck Grunt and Doe Bleat set that I worked on this past month.The wood was a pleasure to turn but seemed quite dry and I feel the tenons were a bit fragile to groove for an "O' Ring. I'll most likely tune in the call and seal the 2 pieces together at the tenon w/glue to keep from a future break.To compliment the age of the wood I thought a Retro type style of shapeing would be just along with a Satin sheen[Watco Teak Oil w/GelPoly].I tried to remember an old call I saw in an antique store to use that shape as a guide for the calls along with keeping the natural inclusions of the wood.I also used a piece of the wood for a stand while keeping the rough edges for effect.I feel I was able to portray a bit of a past era with this wood and the style and basic shaping of the calls.                          

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
Re: Wormy Chestnut Set
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:03:03 PM »
They look nice to me. I gotta try one someday or get one. All I have is a store bought plastic one.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 05:38:55 PM »
Guess I'm a bit dense, but do them calls work the same as the ones with the accordion tubing?
Bonnie K

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 05:57:11 PM »
Looking good!!  If the wood is dry and brittle, try making the exhaust bore larger and making your O ring tenon bigger.  The O rings in the kit won't fit, I think you have to go up 1/16 in size on the O rings. 

I found out several years ago that if you make the call with just 2 pieces and step drill the reed holder and exhaust bore into a single piece you only have 1 tenon and 1 set of O rings to deal with.  Drill the exhaust bore 3/4" for at least 4" then center drill with a 1/2" extra long bit for 2".  This will give you the 1 piece reed holder and exhaust bore.  Then on the mouth piece drill it with 3/4" bit. 

Bonnie, in my opinion these calls sound a lot better.  If the exhaust tube is at least 4" long the sound is deeper and sounds more like a mature buck.  If you make the exhaust bore too short, they make good firewood, you also have to explain to the user that they are not using a horn and that they need to blow softly or it sounds like a muffled machine gun.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.