Author Topic: question about micarta  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
question about micarta
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:28:24 AM »
Seems like this stuff is made from unicorn horns, eagle feathers and baby tears.  A customer of mine is deployed in Kosovo and has spent a lot of his down time online trying to procure some micarta for me to make him some calls from.  He has found a guy that has lots, and has a choice between canvas, linen, wood and paper micarta.  He asked me what is best and I'm not sure.  I'm thinking linen micarta is what we want but I don't want all his procurement efforts to be a waste if I tell him to get the wrong kind. 

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
Re: question about micarta
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 10:14:40 AM »
I'd get ahold of Stelz or Stump. Both of those guys have run the gammet on micarta and should be able to tell you the in's and outs of each one.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:54:01 PM »
KC, I have never made call from it before, but I have used the linen before when I use to make custom knives. They made beautiful handles.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 04:06:46 PM »

I have made 1 call out of the canvas.  I didn't know what the heck I was doing back when I made it, so I ain't gonna comment on how it sounds.  :taz:  Ask Stump about the different types of micarta.  He's made a few calls out of each.

I did just pick up some of the Westinghouse Micarta - the good stuff.  Don't know what I am going to do with it though......

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 04:33:24 PM »
DO NOT WORK WITH PAPER MICARTA OR G10-11!!!!!!!!!!!  Very tough stuff right there.  The paper is brittle and will chip out badly and has cracked down the road.
I prefer canvas and linen myself for looks and tone (If you can locate cotton based jump on it).  Canvas has a wider checker board pattern to it than the linen stuff.  But both sound the same.  Expect micarta to sound like wood on steroids or soft acrylic.  Love the sound of the stuff!!!!
Make sure to have either a dust collector or a quality mask as micarta is nothing but dust when your turning it.  Turn at the regular sppeds as acrylic and wood and you should have no issues.  Once turned wipe it down with teak oil for a nice soft look.  You can apply a finish if you want but I don`t as the stuff will be around with the roaches after a nucular attack.

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 04:35:42 PM »
Just what I needed to know.  Thank you!!!   :bigup:

Offline Straight-N-Arrow

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 04:50:54 PM »
Are you talking about using it for a call surface? I use it to trim out the top of my pots. I use the G-10 with fiberglass. Pretty tough stuff to cut.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 05:19:27 PM »
Nah Straight-N-Arrow, duck and goose calls. 

That top detail on your pot is really nice.  :yes: