Author Topic: My first Cow Elk call  (Read 4289 times)

Offline Splash

• New Forum Member
My first Cow Elk call
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:15:34 PM »
Here it is, It was a pain to make. I hope it gets easier with practice. I decided to start with different calls. I said that I will not be hunting this year with nothing other than my calls.

What is the Verdict? Should I give it one more try or stay with Duck and goose calls? I need all of the pointers I can get.
A veteran is someone (Man or Woman)who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable 'To My Country' for an amount "up to and including my life. "That my friends is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: My first Cow Elk call
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:38:33 PM »
I think it is a very nice looking call. You said it was a pain to make. Why? What was the problem?
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Splash

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:59:06 AM »
I had no idea on how to bore/bell the inside. I ended up placing it on my 4 finger jaw and do it that way. After I was done and waxed the inside, I place is on my "goose call attachment" (a step mandrel attachment that I made to get the goose calls turned as mine are 7/8' on one side and 5/8" on the other) to super sand the outside and remove the Jaws marks before finishing it with CA. I put 10 coat of CA to see how it looked. I thing 10 coats looks as good as 5 in my opinion. All and all it wasn't too bad, it is just the fact that it was the first one I make. from the time I thought about making it to the 100% finish as you see there, it only took me about an 1.25 hours. The is, selecting the Wood and drilling it, shape it, finish it, reshape the mouth piece to fir the 5/8" hole.

Question: Is there a better way to do all this and to make the mouth piece hole for easier assembly?

Ray
A veteran is someone (Man or Woman)who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable 'To My Country' for an amount "up to and including my life. "That my friends is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:19:52 PM »
Well, for me there are a couple of way. Mount the wood in the 4-jaw chuck and drill on the lathe. Then, without removing it, use your gouge and flare the end. You can also use a step drill attachment first if you wish. The idea is to do the work before removing from the 4-jaw chuck. After flaring the end, do your sanding and finishing of the inside. Then you can mount it on your "goose call attachment" for doing the final turning and finishing. I actually prefer using the expanding mandrels at this point. They just work so great. Hope this helps.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Splash

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »
Nice, Thanks. This work and will give it a try since i use the 4 jaw chuck to drill the blanks any ways. I've been wanting to get an expanding mandrel, but have not done that yet. I guess I will now... Thanks for the info.

Ray