Author Topic: Firts Pot  (Read 1599 times)

Offline KnockEmDeadCalls

• New Forum Member
Firts Pot
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:28:06 PM »
So here is my first attempt at a turkey pot, I basically had no idea what I was doing so criticism is definitely welcome!!! I believe it's sassafras but i didnt order my slate and soundboards so I didnt glue it up to see how it sounded. I was wondering how thick to make the bottom and the sides. Thanks for lookin, and any help would be great!

Ethan

Offline Shane at S.P. Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Firts pot
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 10:20:59 PM »
Looks good so far from here. I try to make the bottom 1/4". My sides always differ in each pot according to what style I go with. I have noticed that the holes have alot to do with sound also. I noticed that if my sides are thick to make the holes larger. Thats my cents worth. But it looks good.
Shane
S.P. Game Calls(flydowntn)

Trust GOD

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 10:23:28 PM »
Proportionally it looks pretty good to me.  I don't have any criticism for you on it and wish my first one looked that good.  I think that if it were mine I'd make the pedestal walls a little thicker just to have a little more glue surface.  The bottom should be about 3/16" to 1/4" thick, more or less.  I personally don't think the edge walls' thickness matters all that much.    :2up:

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:27:47 AM »
Ditto on the pedestal wall thickness.... That area needs to have a good surface area for glue.  Nothing worse than one coming apart on the inside and having your sound board clanking around in there!

The call looks great.  No other criticism to offer.  I think it will work great for ya!

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Blackfalcon

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »
Looks nice! You are off to a good start!! :bigup:

Offline misfire

• New Forum Member
    • misfiregamecalls.com
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 11:24:17 PM »
I agree with the others, you made a nice pot and I too think the pedastal should be a little thicker.
misfiregamecalls.com

#1700 God bless

Offline gcc

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 12:45:06 AM »
Looks nice.