Author Topic: questions for the box call makers!  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Doss

• New Forum Member
questions for the box call makers!
« on: February 09, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »
when cutting the grooves for a short boxes sides to fit into the base are you guys using table saws or what?
Where's my turkey?

Blackfalcon

Re: questions for the box call makers!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »
I use a router with a 1" or 7/8ths" bit. You can use a smaller bit if need be, just make two passes, it can be tricky setting your fence to get the width just right for your box. A router can be dangerous if you go the wrong way, always cut against the bit. Be sure to use a push stick of some type. I make my own from scrap, an L-shaped piece with a handle, this keeps fingers away from the bit. You don't need to go very deep with the dado, 3/32"-1/8" at the most.
You could also use a dado blade on a tablesaw, personally I prefer the router since I don't have a dado blade

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:39:15 PM »
I use a Router table with a fence. You can set your depth and your exact location to cut. I use a feather board held down by a c-clamp and I use a push stick that is at least the length of the base and has a handle on the top so you can push forward and down at the same time.

Larry
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 06:42:10 PM by Prairie Game Calls »
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline JThomas

• New Forum Member
    • http://skullpointgamecalls.com
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:54:33 PM »
I use a strait 5/8 router bit in my drill press running wide open with my 6 inch slide miiling vise..works realy good also. I lost the tip of a finger to a router and got gun shy and came up with this a pass each way and its done..I use it for inlay and also the base..

Jeff
http://skullpointgamecalls.com         
 Aim small - Miss small