Author Topic: TRIED ANOTHER CUSTOM PEN BLANK  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
TRIED ANOTHER CUSTOM PEN BLANK
« on: February 08, 2011, 06:09:20 PM »
WELL I BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE CUSTOM PEN KITS WITH ALL THE LITTLE PIECES YOU PUT TOGETHER IT TOOK ME OVER 1.5 HOURS JUST TO GLUE THE TINY PIECES IN PLACE ONE AT A TIME LET THE GLUE SET THEN ANOTHER
BIT OF ADVICE TO ALL WHO HAVE NOT TRIED YET. FIRST OFF DO NOT TRY THESE KITS TILL YOU HAVE TURNED A FEW PENS (6 OR MORE) JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH COSTLY LEARNING CURVE HERE..

1-PUT IT TOGETHER OVER A TABLE WITH WHITE PAPER LAID OUT"YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHY LATTER"
BECAUSE IF YOU ARE LIKE ME I DROPPED EVERY LITTLE TOE I TOUCHED AND IF YOU HAVE TO LOOK FOR THEM ON THE FLOOR GOOD LUCK "ALSO" LOCK UP THE KIDS AND THE DOG THEY DON'T HELP WHEN THOSE LITTLE PIECES HIT THE FLOOR....

2-TEST FIT EVERY PIECE B4 APPLYING ANY GLUE !!!!  :nono:

3-YOU WILL APPLY CA GLUE TO EACH LITTLE PIECE LITTLE AT A TIME AND LET DRY BEFORE APPLYING MORE FILL IN ALL OF THE LITTLE VOIDS THIS WILL SAVE YOU BIG HEADACHE LATTER  :taz:

4-NOW I THINK I MIGHT HAVE READ THIS HERE FIRST IF SO WHO EVER SUGGESTED THIS THANK YOU! WHEN YOU MOUNT YOUR WOOD BLANK TO MANDREL TURN ON LATHE SAND BARREL FIRST I USED SOME 150 PAPER REMOVE ANY HIGH SPOTS YOU MIGHT HAVE AFTER GLUING IN YOUR PIECES SEE NUMBER 2 ABOVE....

5-REAPPLY CA GLUE TO ANY SPOTS THAT LOOK LIKE THERE IS A VOID THESE AREAS WILL CAUSE A CATCH NO MATTER HOW SMALL THEY LOOK IF YOUR SCRAPER GETS CAUGHT IN ONE OF THOSE LITTLE BUGGERS IT COULD ALL BE OVER  :taz: AND AT THE PRICE OF SOME OF THESE AND SOME HAVING SO MANY LITTLE PIECES  :censored:

BUT TAKE YOUR TIME GO SLOW AND HAVE FUN THEY LOOK GREAT WHEN THEY ARE FINISHED
REPEAT

Will Hunt For Food

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: TRIED ANOTHER CUSTOM PEN BLANK
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:23:48 PM »
Oh yea, I like that one. I have a couple of relatives that may like that one too. I'll have to look into it. Nice job too.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Very nice indeed!! Somebody is gonna be happy with that one!!  :bigup: :bigup:
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »
BRAZ HOW LONG DID IT TAKE TO DO THE ONE WITH RIFLE IN IT WANT TO DO ONE FOR MY BULLET PEN KIT
REPEAT
Will Hunt For Food

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:16:08 PM »
Not long at all, since there are only 4 pieces. I put all four pieces in, then hit it with CA. Used the thin CA two or three times them moved to medium for a time or two. Then, as I mentioned elsewhere, I mounted it up, and carefully hit it with sandpaper to smooth it out before using a gouge. A catch is too darned expensive.  :oops:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:42:06 PM »
I'M GOING TO TRY ONE OUT I JUST THINK THEY WOULD GO GREAT WITH MY BULLET PEN BESIDES ANTLER ALL THE TIME JUST WITH MY BIG FINGERS THOSE LITTLE PIECES ARE HARD TO WORK WITH AND I HAVE HARD TIME WITH TWEEZERS BECAUSE OF MY FINGERS DON'T WANT TO WORK ALL THE TIME...THOSE PENS YOU MADE LOOK GREAT ARE THOSE THE PSI MONET PEN'S?? THE MORE I LOOK AT THE RIFLE ONE I LIKE BUT I KNOW THEY ARE ON THE PRICEY SIDE

BY THE WAY SPELL CHECK DOES NOT WORK ALL THE TIME?
REPEAT
Will Hunt For Food

Offline sharpshooter

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 09:59:40 PM »
 :bigup: That is awsome
If I can see it I can hit it, If I can hit it I can kill it.

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 01:48:30 AM »
Actually, the pen I'm using is the Mesa pen from Woodturningz.com
Braz