Author Topic: A couple more whistles!  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
A couple more whistles!
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:50:22 PM »
Here's a couple whistles I just finished up.  I dug out my little Buck Gardner molded plastic whistle and compared the sound, and mine sound just a little bit better.   :2:

This one is for Braz, who asked me to make him one.  I made it from some of Tobin's nifty osage and put a velvit oil finish on it because I know Braz prefers oil finishes to glossy finishes! 

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: A couple more whistles!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 11:52:29 PM »
And this one is Arizona desert ironwood.  Man I love this stuff but it is giving me fits getting the finish 100% perfect.  I'm about to wipe oil on the next one but I'm too stubborn.  Got a 1/2" mandrel from Flint Hills and it is making these a lot easier to make.

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:04:24 AM »
Pretty calls Aaron!  Glad you got it figured out.  I'm curious about the ¼" hole in the end of the call?  Yeah, I can see by the looks of that Arizona Desert Ironwood call why it would be giving you a fit for not being 100%... when in fact the finish looks more like 110% perfect!!!  When it comes to finishes, I wish I had some of your "fits".

:gitrdone:

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:58:06 AM »
Thanks Jeff.  I'm turning them on a 1/2" expanding mandrel.  The little hole in the end allows me to get the allen wrench in there to tighten the mandrel, and also allows me to engage the live center to keep it from chattering at all.  The hole doesn't do anything to the sound.  If you put your finger over it, the sound changes very very very very slightly, but nothing all that appreciable. 

Offline Shane at S.P. Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:48:39 AM »
Just wondering. Is there a insert or reed that goes in there. If so where do you get them. I would love to try one of those.
Shane
S.P. Game Calls(flydowntn)

Trust GOD

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
I thought the little 1/4" hole in the end is what you blow into? How the heck to you make it work if you don't blow into the little hole?
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 11:58:39 AM »
Just wondering. Is there a insert or reed that goes in there. If so where do you get them. I would love to try one of those.
Shane

Shane there's no reed or kit or anything.  There is a 1/2" dowel inside there that has a ramped profile...A toneboard of sorts that directs the air.  You just make it on a sander.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:06:03 PM »
I thought the little 1/4" hole in the end is what you blow into? How the heck to you make it work if you don't blow into the little hole?

Braz the big hole at the other end is where you blow the air.   :whistling:  The little hole is just there to confuse you.  I may need to start plugging that hole to discourage confusion!   :huh:

To get the mallard drake "dreeeeb" you exhale air from your diaphragm (like a normal duck call) and say the word "drrreeeet", drawing out the E's.  Pintails and widgeons are done by also exhaling, but with a finger over the hole in the top of the whistle farthest from the toneboard.  Pintails just involve rolling your tongue at the same time.  You get teal calls without blocking any holes and by just blowing air, not exhaling from the diaphragm.

I really need to learn to do sound files.   :yes:

Offline J.Rode

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
Nice job KC, love the finish. 

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 08:27:30 PM »
Nice whistles!!!  Your finish is unbielevable!!! :bigup:
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!