Author Topic: Curly Maple  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Two Creeks Calls

• New Forum Member
Curly Maple
« on: January 31, 2011, 03:30:09 PM »
I made up another batch of Vinegar Stain and put it to work on some nice Curly Maple

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:40:55 PM by Two Creeks Calls »
I am not a call maker, but I play one on the internet

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Curly Maple
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 04:39:04 PM »
I have never tried that vinager stain, but one of these days I'm gonna have to give it a try. It sure does make for some nice color in that maple. Nice calls.  :bigup:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Two Creeks Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »
The last batch I made up did well but was more of a Buckskin coloring and I loved it. This batch was the same except I used only white vinegar and it brought alot of brown and deep tans to the mix. Not sure if it is the wood or the vinegar but it sure is purty :2up:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:06:58 PM by Two Creeks Calls »

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 06:44:26 PM »
Yep, I like the dark brown that it brought out. Really adds something to the looks of the call.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Honk1493

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 11:31:58 PM »
Great looking call!!! The finish on that call looks like it was dipped in glass great job. :bigup:   Mark
Treat everone like you want to be treated yourself.

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 11:38:59 PM »
Looks good!  I like that finish on curly maple. 
Do you think the difference in color was your mix or the wood itself?  Is the wood from the same batch but now you're getting a different color?  Just wondering how predictable color is on maple.  Turning walnut black has been my only real experience with this so far.
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline Two Creeks Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:18:31 AM »
No clue honestly. The only change to this batch besides the wood was using white vinegar instead of apple vinegar. On the woods ive used this batch on, it has been more even and brought more colors to what has been turned.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 04:19:02 PM »
Nice looking call!  My experience has been that white vinegar will color maple just like the picture if you time it right.  A few days of soaking the steel wool is about right.  After a few weeks in the jar the color gets too rusty for my liking and I didn't get acceptable results.  Lesson:  Make small batches! 

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 04:40:46 PM »
BINGO!  That must be what I have going on.  Ill start a fresh batch and see what I get!
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain