Author Topic: My first whistle (it ain't pretty)  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
My first whistle (it ain't pretty)
« on: January 28, 2011, 11:22:18 PM »
For over 10 years I've been carrying a duck commander whistle to make mallard drake sounds.  Always wanted to make a wood one.  Mutt was kind enough to send me a couple of his to use as examples of how it is done, as I was lacking the understanding of what to do with the dowel/toneboard.  That helped immensely.  Found a couple threads on here and on CCO with some general how-to's and a handful of suggestions on hole spacing and gave it a whirl.  Planned on making several and trashing a few before I got anything even close.

I tried a flat toneboard on it as well as an upsloped one.  I was thrilled when I immediately got what I'd consider a perfect mallard drake "dreeeeeb" out of it.  It also does a good pintail and widgeon, and I'm pretty confident it even sounds pretty decent as a teal (I don't hunt them in early teal season due to the bugs and snakes). 

This thing wasn't made for looks, so please disregard that.  I also want to find a unique feature or shape that will make it my own.  Didn't even sand it, as it was a first try.  Going to order a 1/2" expanding mandrel immediately so I can do a decent job on a few of these. 

Offline Two Creeks Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: My first whistle (it ain't pretty)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 11:26:56 PM »
Sweet! I have a growing pile of these that arent doing anything except increasing my blowing capacity  :oops:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:28:29 PM by Two Creeks Calls »
I am not a call maker, but I play one on the internet

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 09:37:18 AM »
Nice!

Great job Bud! Feels great when ya finally get it, huh?

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline J.Rode

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:38:05 PM »
 :bigup: This is something I want to learn how to make.  Good job.

Offline Shane at S.P. Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:47:57 PM »
Is there a place to go to see how these are made. I got a couple of buddies that I told. They are hitting me up for one often.
Thanks
S.P. Game Calls(flydowntn)

Trust GOD