Author Topic: sterilize toneboards, what do you do?  (Read 2683 times)

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
sterilize toneboards, what do you do?
« on: July 26, 2008, 08:23:35 PM »
I was wondering about this because I haven't read much of anything about it. If I have I can't find it. What do you use to sterilize your toneboards after you get them tuned and ready to sell. I have been dipping them in alcohol and if I remember somebody said they use listerine mouth wash. I think I may switch to the mouth wash.

What do you use or do to them?

John

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline JThomas

• New Forum Member
    • http://skullpointgamecalls.com
Re: sterilize toneboards, what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 12:35:41 AM »
John , I use mouth wash on alot of stuff. I used it to clean my homemade wine  jugs before we fill them :-X :o also on calls......Jeff
http://skullpointgamecalls.com         
 Aim small - Miss small

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 09:47:43 AM »
This is a REALLY good question. Through out the show this weekend, I have had folks come up, grab a call and blow it, then set it down and get another and so on. What we have been doing is dipping and them wiping them off with mint Listerine. Hade one feller, say "Hey, do you think I got germs???" My wife answered him, "No but the guy right before you did". ;) The mouth wash works real good. Or friend is a nurse and my daughter in law was in carge of sterilization at the hospital she worked in. They both recommended it for the calls. Besides, it leaves them "Minty Fresh too" :D
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 10:29:24 AM »

John,

Here's some good reading on that subject as well.

http://www.customcalls.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206671668/12#12

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 01:09:38 PM »
Oh no 2 Brians.  ;D  Thanks for the link Brian and Brian your wifes comment was great. That was quick thinking. I guess I have been doing it right then. Thanks for the comments.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 10:01:24 PM »
One more bit of advice. Be sure and rinse the listerine off as soon as you can with clear water. The Listerine has a bit of sugar in it and it will made the reed tick until it can be disolved. Makes for a frustrating day when you have about 15 or 20 calls that won't low right because the reeds are stuk. Just a quik water rinse fixed it right up though.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com