Author Topic: Goose call v2.0  (Read 9351 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Goose call v2.0
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 12:43:07 AM »
Thanks Mike, but you're in trouble for digging up a two year old thread from back when I had generally no idea what I was doing when it comes to goose calls.  :nono: :hysterical:  At least now I have sort of a clue, although it is still an uphill climb.  For the sake of my dignity, here's a pic of the last gooser I made, and it'll run.  My customer sent me a pic of a banded honker last week that was the first goose this call gets credit for.

I've since reposessed the burned osage call originally posted in this thread from my uncle because he managed to ruin it trying to screw with the guts.  It was an ugly scene that he and my cousin created.....I won't go into detail but it involved large channel-lock pliers and a lot of twisting.  They flat out ruined that call because they didn't know how to remove the guts.  Broke the gutsert, tore the finish up, ruined the guts.  I built him a new one and told him to mail it back to KC if he ever gets the urge to "tune" it again.  That was my first real lesson in doing my best to build calls as customer-proof as possible. 

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 01:22:14 AM »
 :hysterical:  Well this old thread brought on some entertaining twists then!   :duck:

Channel locks and goose calls.  I somehow doubt Jon has channel locks in his tactical goose call kit box.   :rockon:

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 05:39:22 AM »
I'll bring a bunch of different guts to the turn-a-thon and we can play with internal bore dimensions on the barrels.   I'll also bring all my counterbores and we can do an "experiment" to see what works with your exhaust. :bigup:
I have been exactly where you are trying to figure it out.  It looks like you are well on your way.
Two weeks and counting.... :punk:

Doug

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 04:47:04 PM »
You know, I did a mini flute for a guy as a "paid experiment" one time and try as I might, I couldn't get the long exhaust to work with the short reed guts. I futzed with that thing for a week or so, and had it lying apart on the table while I was tuning another customers call, and I tried it with the 3/4" bore on the barrel. I was really suprised at the control I got from it. Although it wasn't near as loud as a short and bored exhaust, it was completely usable, and had great back pressure.

Just something to file in the "Hmmmm" file.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline D.Bettis

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 10:14:32 PM »
Aaron that is an awesome looking call! I agree with alot that has been mentioned, I would also shorten the insert a little or make the barrel longer allowing for some build up. I would also flare the exhaust of the insert, don't need a deep taper. The area that i would look at with the short barrel is reducing the the amount of air tha you have around the guts rather than adding more; however that will depend on your guts as well. Again awesome call!

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 08:14:38 AM »
You never know about the tactical goose gut box!  Pliers, hammers, files, emery boards, plumbers lube....I've ruined LOTS of guts.  Hehe :bigup:
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain