Author Topic: Goose call v2.0  (Read 9350 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Goose call v2.0
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:06:01 PM »
Here's goose call number two.  Well actually there were a couple failed inserts and barrels mixed in, but I ended up here.  Here's version two.  Not any improvement over the sound of version one, but I modified the internals of the barrel somewhat and that made it workable.  I wouldn't sell it, but it does run ok.  I tried a couple mystery guts I have and one of them worked a little better than the SR1's, at least in this one. 

Starting to figure out what changes what, but I have a long way to go.  I bored the barrel 7/8" just past the end of the guts and then went straight down to 5/8".  I had stepped it down with 3/4" around the guts' length but that wasn't working.  Boring it out did improve things some.  I think on the next one I'll go a little deeper with the 7/8". 

The insert is 5/8" with a very slight flare at the exhaust end.  Also went with a fatter insert because the first one felt way too small in my hand.  It is about 2-1/8" long, not counting the gutsert's length.  I made the gutsert from electrical conduit, which is mighty easy and beats the heck out of paying several bucks for one.

My uncle is trying to learn to call geese and has been wanting a call.  Told him this one isn't perfect but will get him started until I can get the sound right where I want it.  Then this one can be a paper weight.

Critiques please!

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Goose call v2.0
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 06:07:20 PM »
And highlooker, I am going to give you a call to pick your brain....Just too many irons in the fire this weekend.  This call was a late night endeavor!

Offline J.Rode

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:11:47 PM »
That looks freakin awesome.  I think the design flows nicely.  Well done.  :bigup:

Offline Cold Front Calls

• New Forum Member
  • "Hunt the Front"
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 07:16:51 PM »
Like I posted over on CCO GREAT LOOKIN CALL!!!!  I just noticed one more thing.  Your Internal flare on the exhaust of the insert, or should I say lack of, needs to be much bigger and deeper IMO.  This will increase the Volume and give you more range in the call.

Randy

"Hunt the Front"

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 07:40:23 PM »
I agree with Randy. Open the exhaust up more. The insert seems a bit long still. I say this because it seems like the insert is about the same length as the barrrel. That is just an opinion though. I dont think that will have too much effect on the sound. Could be wrong.

The burning on the osage and the finish are awesome. I love the look of the call overall.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Mark at Bad Medicine Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »
I really like the shape myself..  I usually bore my barrel 7/8 straight to 5/8 as well and that seems to work really well with the echo inserts I have. 
Mark Levasseur

Brandon, VT

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.   Isaiah 40:31

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 06:22:19 AM »
Beautiful call Aaron! 

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Gouldman

• New Forum Member
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 08:04:06 AM »
Great work Aaron....you know I like the conduit :yes:
I'd shorten the insert a bit also and open the exhaust with that tool you sharpened for me ::)  Ron
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 12:52:43 PM »
That will make a fine paperweight one day.  :rofl:

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 04:16:34 PM »
Great work Aaron....you know I like the conduit :yes:
I'd shorten the insert a bit also and open the exhaust with that tool you sharpened for me ::)  Ron

Wonder where I got the idea for the conduit?  :whistling:  Thanks Ron.  And I made myself a dual purpose lanyard groove tool / insert reamer-outer.  Who needs an inboard bowl scraper anyway?  I don't make no steeeenking bowls! 

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
That's a great looking caller there Aaron! You're on the way to becomming a short reed master!

Remeber that some of the most important calls we make as callmakers are the "test mules" that never see a finish or pictures on the web. Some of those calls are where you make the biggest jumps in sound, as you're not afraid to make the big changes.

Kepp at it Bud, they look great!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 11:58:10 AM »
Remeber that some of the most important calls we make as callmakers are the "test mules" that never see a finish or pictures on the web. Some of those calls are where you make the biggest jumps in sound, as you're not afraid to make the big changes.

Thanks Bob.  Yup, made quite a few test mules out of maple.  Most of them were made after this one was, as I realized that I was quickly wasting valuable osage (and CA finishing efforts).  :wacko:

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »
Got some Shell Creek guts in the mail and fooled with them in the osage call (While driving.  That's multi-tasking folks.).  By my standards the sound is pretty much acceptable.  Certainly could be improved upon, but I'm at least no longer embarassed by the darn thing.  The barrel that ended up sounding the best is 7/8" just past the end of the gutsert, stepped down to 3/4" for about 1/2", then down to 5/8" at the mouth.  The insert is the one pictured, bored 5/8" through (and inadequately flared out at the end).

Still want to find a configuration that works for me with the SR1's.  So I'll re-make the one with the shell creek guts to make a few improvements, then start tinkering with the SR1's. 

:thanks:

BLKDOGS

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 07:05:57 PM »
well done  that is a sweet looking call

Offline Mike Perkins

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 11:04:37 PM »
I think it looks awesome..

Here's goose call number two.  Well actually there were a couple failed inserts and barrels mixed in, but I ended up here.  Here's version two.  Not any improvement over the sound of version one, but I modified the internals of the barrel somewhat and that made it workable.  I wouldn't sell it, but it does run ok.  I tried a couple mystery guts I have and one of them worked a little better than the SR1's, at least in this one. 

Starting to figure out what changes what, but I have a long way to go.  I bored the barrel 7/8" just past the end of the guts and then went straight down to 5/8".  I had stepped it down with 3/4" around the guts' length but that wasn't working.  Boring it out did improve things some.  I think on the next one I'll go a little deeper with the 7/8". 

The insert is 5/8" with a very slight flare at the exhaust end.  Also went with a fatter insert because the first one felt way too small in my hand.  It is about 2-1/8" long, not counting the gutsert's length.  I made the gutsert from electrical conduit, which is mighty easy and beats the heck out of paying several bucks for one.

My uncle is trying to learn to call geese and has been wanting a call.  Told him this one isn't perfect but will get him started until I can get the sound right where I want it.  Then this one can be a paper weight.

Critiques please!

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight