Author Topic: Just a few turnings... *pic heavy post*  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Donnie

• New Forum Member
    • http://www.facebook.com/kennedy.penwerks
Just a few turnings... *pic heavy post*
« on: January 22, 2011, 11:14:28 AM »
I've been asked to share some of my turnings, and I managed to find a few images to share with the class. Unfortunately, I didn't think about taking too many pictures over the years unless it was to post a question or answer at one of the woodturning forums I frequent, consequently, my pictures are not really representative of my body of work as a whole, and they suck since most of them were just snapped on-the-fly with very little setup involved. I plan on working on photography and documentation of my adventures in turning a little more this year. Anyway, this pretty much covers the "types" of turning I do.

This is just a collection of "stuff" I put together one day when I was actually practicing on my photography... it still didn't work out so hot. I'll also add that I did not turn the round decorative piece... that was a gift from a friend and sits on our entertainment center.

This is a little walnut box... 2.5” tall and 2.75” wide

A sycamore candy dish... This one is 3-1/4" wide at the rim, 4-1/2" at it's widest point and about 2-1/2" tall... sanded to 400, buffed with OOOO steel wool and finished with boiled linseed oil

A sycamore bowl... before and after... It's 5-3/4" wide at the rim, 2" deep, and a consistent 3/8" thick... sanded to 800 grit and no finish yet.

Another sycamore bowl... if you hadn't noticed yet, I love me some sycamore...

A couple of turned and carved whistles from way back... and a long time before I discovered the macro setting....

Back when Harry potter was popular I made a bunch of wands for the kiddies...

A goblet turned from some wood that I can't remember what it was...

I will chuck up about anything I get my hands on... this was some experimentation I did with bowling pins...

No... that's not a giant quarter replica...

And I never throw anything away... this little white oak bowl tore its self apart while the roughout was drying, and I stuffed the cracks full of coffee grounds and CA and finished it anyway...

I also go out through the woods searching out interesting chunks-O-wood and come up with some decent stuff from time to time... these are some oak finds...

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:24:10 AM by Donnie »

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Just a few turnings... *pic heavy post*
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »
Great looking pieces. I have only turned a few pieces other than calls. I tried bowls twice. Both times they came flying off and the second time just missed my head. I quickly decided I needed more knowledge before trying that again. Love your goblets too, those are great. Heck, it's all great. Nice work and thanks for posting the pictures.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Donnie

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »
Braz...

I had several IFO's when I first started spinning bowls. Over time I developed a light touch and I don't ever "hog" off material anymore. I finally realized that I'm not a production turner, so time isn't of any consequence to me. When someone asks me how long something will take me to finish I just tell them It'll be done when it's done.

woodwzrd

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »
Very nice work Donnie. By the looks of the wands you turned you should have a good start on your strikers. The figure in that oak is just amazing and I can almost picture what it would have looked like on the bottom of a pot call. I have turned a few bowls with a little success but nothing like what you have shown here.

Offline Donnie

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 12:10:45 PM »
woodwzrd...

I can't wait to get that oak sawn so I can see what it's gonna look like after it's blanked out. I just hope that the swirls and curls are deep enough into the wood that it'll still have some drama left when I'm done with it. We had a tornado come through here several years ago and there are a lot of trees in the woods around here that were badly damaged and have since either died or are in the process of dieing... especially a lot of tall oaks.

Offline sharpshooter

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 05:48:03 PM »
Nice work ya got there. That little goblet is amazing
If I can see it I can hit it, If I can hit it I can kill it.

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »
Great looking stuff there I just like to try every thing out you never know till you try sometimes we need to try more than once but I think in the end it makes you a better turner to learn the different ways to make things
If you don't learn something new every day your not paying attention!!
Hey that was pretty good!!
Repeat
Will Hunt For Food