Author Topic: First Deer Grunt - Comments Welcome!  (Read 2339 times)

Offline jtm

• New Forum Member
First Deer Grunt - Comments Welcome!
« on: January 10, 2011, 11:42:20 AM »
I turned these for a friend and he went and got a buck the first time out with them.  So they worked great.  He is sending me a picture because it is the first kill with one of my deer calls. 

Top on is Paduk and the bottom is dymonwood. 

Thanks for looking, Josh and all comments and critiques are welcome. 
Never go quietly into the night.

Offline spitfire

• New Forum Member
Re: First Deer Grunt - Comments Welcome!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »
Look great. What finish did you use?

Offline Honk1493

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »
That is 2 great lookers there  :2up: really like your design it flows nicely!!!  Mark
Treat everone like you want to be treated yourself.

Offline jtm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 09:52:01 AM »
I finished the call by using a either BLO or sanding sealer while it is still turning on the lathe after sanding it and buff it dry.  I then use a fast drying spray lacquer for three coats and hit it with 0000 steel wool between each coat till i get the shine off.  Then i dip it twice in the 70/30 mix of marine varnish and mineral spirits and hit it with 0000 steel wool between coats as well.  And after the second coat i buff it. 

It sounds like a lot and is a little time consuming (but what part about making calls isn't  ::)) but my dad has been refinishing furniture for the last 15 years and we tried alot of combinations and this is what we have come up with.  We read all the tutorials online and after we finished a call once we let it cure for 2 weeks and submerged it in a bucket of water for 2 weeks and didn't even mess the finish or damage the wood. 

That is how i do it on all my calls right now. 

Blackfalcon

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 05:58:39 PM »
I really like your design, like Mark said, it flows very nicely!  :bigup:

Offline J. R. Harp

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 08:48:58 PM »
The calls look great and the pictures are awsome.  Do you mind me asking how you did them (the pictures) ?

Offline jtm

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »
Nope don't mind at all JR Harp.

I use an item called a product box. I have some friends who are professional photographers for a living so i asked them the best way to do this.  I will post pics later if anyone is interested in seeing what it is. 

basically you have a box (think of a shoebox without a top) it is solid white.  In the box you have a half dome with a flat spot on the top the size of a dime.  The half dome is solid with as well.  You place the half dome in the box and put what you want to photograph on the flat spot.  One side has a hole cut in it that is the size of your camera lens and this is where you take the pictures from.  You want to use three light sources.  You have one shining down from the top, one on the left, one on the right.  Make sure they are the same wattage bulbs and bright too.  They will cancel out all the shadows.  Then you need to adjust your focus (there is a great tutorial on here about f-stops and focus, but i forgot where, I'll try to find it.)  Then snap your picture and then you have your photos. 

I somethimes use a sticky tack on the flat spot if i want to angle the shot any. 

I hope this helps and if it is confusing let me know (my wife says i'm horrible at explaining stuff) and i will take some photos of the box for you. 

Offline Two Creeks Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »
Do a goggle search on "light tent". You can buy or make your own and they work quite well.
I am not a call maker, but I play one on the internet

BLKDOGS

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 08:01:53 AM »
Great job all the way around

Offline J. R. Harp

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 07:11:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Pics would be great. :2up: