Author Topic: Tuning Bull Elk Call  (Read 5529 times)

Offline SAS

• New Forum Member
Tuning Bull Elk Call
« on: July 23, 2008, 09:02:59 PM »
I've made my first elk call, like the deer grunter, but can't get the sound I like.  Does anyone have any pointers or starting points?  Thanks...

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Tuning Bull Elk Call
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:01:59 PM »
Someone jump in here and tell how they tune their elk calls.  I spoke with SAS by e mail and told him that this would be the place to check.  Now dont let me down :)

Al @ THO

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:33:02 PM »
Not sure how much help I can be. I've only done a few so far. But I start out with the reed just a bit past the back edge of the tone board. Then slide the tone board into the stopper. You have to slide in past where you want to end up and then pull it back out towards towards you. Slide the wedge in but not tight yet. Use a dowel and GENTLY ease the reed back towards the direction you installed the tone board from so that the back edges line up. Then with about 1/2 or so f the wedge still exposed, ease the toneboard and reed back out till it starts to tighten. Start testing and go from there in small steps. 1/32 of an inch can make the difference. The key thing to remember is that to move the reed, you have to push the tone board into the call to loosen it and pull it out to tighten it. It can be nervce racking but eventually it'll come in. OH, and be ready for alot of heavy breathing...LOL
I hope this gives you a start. From there it's trial and error and frustration. Good luck.
Brian
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 12:12:28 AM »
I tune mine by playing with different sizes of tubing being put on the reed holders.  I've been using tubing that's used for slingshots, but I'm looking forward to trying surgical tubing when I can afford to pick some up.

The more you cover the reed holders (outside of the barrel) the different tones you will get, because the tighter its squeezed, the tighter the reed is being held.

I hope I make some sort of sense.  Its not an easy process.  Ask my wife.  She has to listen to me tune them.   ;D

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 08:50:13 AM »
I forgot about the adjustment rings, thanks Parker. My dog and wife go nuts too when I do elk bugles. Guess I shouldn't tune them at 1 or 2 in the morning....LOL
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 02:48:26 PM »
 ::)  I'm sorry!  If I did help in some way, it was by accident.  I was talking about cow calls.  I've never made a bugler.  I need to read better before posting.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 10:33:27 PM »
Sure, go ahead and confuse the old guy by changing gears in mid stream ;D Try the small o-rings like those for deer grunts on the cow elk. They seem to work ok for me.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008