Author Topic: Figured out how to fix slightly warped pots  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Figured out how to fix slightly warped pots
« on: January 07, 2011, 12:05:52 AM »
Not sure, but perhaps this little idea will be able to help someone.

I occasionally get a pot that goes every so slightly oblong after turning, slightly cups, or otherwise freaks out.  Occasionally it is my fault for turning wood that I thought was dry that actually wasn't quite ready, more often it is dry wood that just relaxes after being turned.  I fit my surfaces relatively tight to the edge of my pots, leaving a business card's thickness around the perimeter.  So, if the wood moves after turning I'm in trouble because my slate won't fit in, or fits too tight.  But it is a risk I take because I'm a freak about not seeing gaps filled with goop.  Several pots have gone into the trash can in the last couple years after this happens, long before they ever got surfaces put in them.  

Had it happen on a piece of very dry African mahogany last week.  I decided to create a fixture to save it.  Cole jaws just are not accurate enough and there is just about zero repeatability with them, so I quit messing with them a long time ago.  I took a piece of 8/4 ash, screwed it to my lathe's faceplate (which I don't use for anything), turned it round, drilled a 1/2" hole in it on the lathe to perfectly center the hole on the faceplate and then made it slightly concave.  I drove a 1/2" o.d., 3/8" i.d. nylon bushing into the hole, and epoxied a 3/8" hex bolt into the hole from the back side.  

Now I can slip a screwy pot onto the fixture and use a parting tool to remove a tiny amount of wood from the circumference of the inside where the slate sits.  I can also flatten out the top if there is minimal cupping, after chucking it in my 4-jaw and flattening the bottom of the pot.  The nylon bushing perfectly fits the hole drilled in the middle of my calls so there is no play, which is critical.  Here's a picture of a pot being resurrected.  The flat washer puts pressure on the soundboard pedestal and everything is secured with a wing nut.  

This pot warped over a year ago and it is such beautiful claro walnut crotch I just didn't throw it away.  Glad I didn't because tonight I saved it by re-shaping it with a carbide tool, then sanding, then cutting a better fitting slate ledge.  Wait until you see it with finish!

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
Re: Figured out how to fix slightly warped pots
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:16:18 AM »
 :rockon:

I hate throwing wood away! Great idea, thanks for sharing.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »
Simplistically ingenious!  Awesome idea.  I like the "Resurrection" comment.  Allot of calls cannot be "brought back".... you figured a way to do it.

Sweet!

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:49:04 AM »
Love the idea.  Especially the part about using the faceplate for smoething!   :rofl:  Mine just sit in the drawer!

So, my question is........   :huh: .........How are you drilling your drill holes to begin with?  What makes that center drill hole on your call so perfectly round to where you can pull this off?  I always just drill my holes on a drill press.   :huh:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:54:49 AM »
Vince I drill my center hole on the lathe after I drill the perimeter holes on the drill press.  I actually pre-drill a 5/16" hole before the rough blank is actually turned round because it corresponds to the center tip on my spur drive, so I just widen it out to 1/2" later.  Doing that center hole on the drill press makes it hard to be perfectly 100% centered so I think lathe drilling that hole is probably a must in order to be able to utilize this fixture.   :yes:

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:41:50 PM »
 :2up:  Good stuff!  Sounds like a great setup!

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline sharpshooter

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 04:44:48 PM »
Great idea, I can't wait to see that call finished. (if you would like to sell it let me know)
If I can see it I can hit it, If I can hit it I can kill it.

atenkley

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 11:52:08 AM »
Really nice idea!  Good, clear pics too!  We all must realize that correcting a cupped ledge may, not necessarily, change the relationship this ledge surface has with the soundboard support/pedestal surface, resulting in a smaller distance between the bottom of the friction surface and the soundboard....!  Often, if the friction surface ledge is cupped, the pedestal surface may also be cupped, though to a much lesser degree.  If the height of one gets changed, we may need to adjust the other....   - Arlan

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 03:41:47 PM »
Very true Arlan.  I was lucky on this one and didn't have to change the pedestal at all.  It would be easy enough to do that with a sharp chisel by hand, or on the lathe using the cole jaws.