Author Topic: Help needed on grunt hole sizes  (Read 8492 times)

Offline patcatman

• New Forum Member
  • "Heads Up Game Calls"
Help needed on grunt hole sizes
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:35:06 PM »
Hey everybody -
I'm working on some grunt calls - already have turned the barrels and used a 3/4" for my hole. 

That's not my concern because I can turn the stopper any size I need to fit. 
My question is - what size do you guys drill for the guts - alot of people have said 1/2" - but I tested on some scrap and found that the guts are not tight enough with that size and I tried a 31/64" - nice fit. 

Does Al's guts fit snug in the 1/2" or are all the grunt guts out there the same?  31/64" fit.  I think I bought some from Grassy Creek awhile back - before I found THO.
I'm waiting on some from Al now.

Are you guys using glue?  I really don't care to do that - but if that is what is needed.

Thankful for any suggestions or help.
Pat
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
Re: Help needed on grunt hole sizes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:42:53 PM »
Pat, I usually drill at 31/64 myself. It's only 1/64 difference but any loosness in your drilling will show up. I just friction fit my guts in there, allows for easy cleaning and replcement. Hope it helps.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline JThomas

• New Forum Member
    • http://skullpointgamecalls.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:44:49 PM »
Same here 31/64 no glue........... ;D
http://skullpointgamecalls.com         
 Aim small - Miss small

Offline patcatman

• New Forum Member
  • "Heads Up Game Calls"
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Are you guys using a special 31/64 mandrel or a pen mandrel with 1/2" expanding bushings?

Bill

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:08:14 PM »
I have bought reeds from Tho and Game Call -Hut Products and I use 1/2 inch drill bit for both
I have turned wood stoppers that fit my pen mandrel they taper from 3/8 to 1 inch and that seems to work just fine for turning.

http://thogamecalls.com/forums/index.php?topic=497.0

If you look at the pics you will see my wood stoppers

Bill
PS   No glue on the reeds
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:10:56 PM by Bill »

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 10:24:25 PM »
I use the 1/2" expanding rubber bushings on a 7 mm mandrel. At least until I can get the coin saved up for Marvin's mandrels. I also have the taper plugs like Bill. I use them too just not as often. It all depends n my mood I guess. Either one works good so go with what your comfortable with.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 05:30:03 PM »
First what type of drill bit do you use?  My recommendation is to stay away from spade bits, they follow the path of least resistance, and the hole is not straight nor round.  Next you cannot judge a an unfinished hole as to the size, when you put a finish in the inside it will be smaller, not much but it will be smaller.

I use 1/2" jobber drill bits, with 2 or 3 coats of finish I haven't had a problem with the size.   Another factor to consider, when someone starts using the call the humidity from their breath will cause the wood to swell, and if the guts are to tight it might crack the wood. 

Next, 1/64" is so minor when considering the natural movement of the wood, the thickness of the finish, the accuracy of a straight drilled hole and finally the accuracy of your drilling method it won't even come into play.  Look at the shape of the wedge on the guts, it will account for almost all of the errors of above, but trying to drill the hole out larger is a nightmare.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 09:34:25 PM »
I hve some of those brad point drill bits. They work great in the right places but I refer the jobber style points for drilling the call blanks. I also have a full set of forstners but the plain jobbers just seem to suit me.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 10:41:39 PM »
I don't know what it is but for some unknown reason forstner and brad point bits seem to make the hole a bigger than a jobber bit.  Only a guess but I think that the jobber bit creates more heat and that is the reason the hole is smaller than the bit size.  But I do know that with the molded guts you better stick with the jobber, they are almost always a good fit.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 02:48:56 PM »
I discovered a new trick, to me nyays, for whn the hole is just a bit too small for the molded guts. This is when using the 31/64 bit. I took my 1/2 countersink and SLOWLY turned it on in there. It cleaned up the hole ncely and made for a great fit. I only went in about 1/2 inch or so. The little bit of taper that is left at the bottom of the hole is nice for the guts to seat into.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008

Offline crazy_cottontail

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 09:24:16 PM »
i use reamers. I have found that it works better for me to drill a little small and rough turn and give the material a break to let its stress out. I have seen material do weird things. Part of the relaxation for me is working with wood is a different experience than machining steel and aluminum all day. Wood is no different it just has a different grain structure. I`ve had blanks that i turned and started wet sanding then took of the mandrel to dry a couple of days and i almost always end up sending the reamer though it by hand to open it up a little. Maybe i take it a little to precise but thats my way around it. Later

Rich
Rich Jerome
aka crazy_cottontail
Printz Creek Predator Calls

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 10:51:12 PM »
Nothing wrong with that Rich. The time taken today will show in the years to come when those cals are still here and working like the dy they were built. ;D
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008

Offline patcatman

• New Forum Member
  • "Heads Up Game Calls"
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 10:55:01 PM »
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I got my grunt guts in the mail from Al today - and what do ya know - they fit perfect in a 1/2" hole.  

I don't know where I bought the last set - it was almost a year ago - but they have to go in a 31/64" hole for a good fit.

And I agree - a jobber bit makes for a nicer, truer hole - I think.

Pat

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 12:14:20 AM »
Pat, just keep in mind you can get one of those hand reamers from Grizzly that work great for stuff like that, and they're just a couple bucks.  I use mine a lot.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 02:03:01 PM »
Well, now that you have your answers I'll just add Ii have the same problem with the sets made for 1/2. They seem too small.
Just the thickness of a couple coats of urethane can make all the difference. The calls I have the trouble with are just soaked in BLO and buffed, no other fininsh. I have even considered turning a new tennon and gluing it up to get a smaller hole. I have been able to seat the reed by putting a wrap of masking tape around it. If you trim it well, it looks OK, but I know that's not good  enough  to call it fixed. I bought a 31/64 last night and hope that does the trick!
June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !