Author Topic: Three finished up this weekend  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Three finished up this weekend
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:42:56 PM »
I finished these three calls this weekend.  
This one is made from ipe.  I work for a local city and when we built a highway-rated wooden bridge with an ipe deck last year I grabbed a few ipe cutoffs from the trash pile.  I took a risk and finished it with velvit oil...Worked fine once it decided to dry.  It feels really unusually soft, kind of like velvet.  The striker is pecan, and the surface is ceramic.  Pretty sure I've managed to make a completely weatherproof friction call here, aside from the striker peg.   :yes:

This one is curly redwood.  They're from the same piece of wood but the curl is much more pronounced on the striker, just because of the angle of the cut.  This one is slate over glass and has a tru-oil finish with the glossy shine buffed off with 0000 steel wool.  The striker peg is moradillo rosewood.  

The last one is from ash.  I've had a few pieces sitting around forever and have never turned it.  I have to say that this wood finishes beautifully, albeit a little light colored for my taste.  Might try dying some one of these days.  It looked a little plain on the side so I did three little burn lines in it to add some character.  The finish is tru-oil and the striker peg is purpleheart.  This call was an experiment with a crystal surface.  In the past I haven't been pleased with my results with crystal but this call has me loving it....Great low to high range and it gets as loud as a box call.  But I can still purr it really softly.  Going to have to order some more crystal I think.  

Offline Two Creeks Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Three finished up this weekend
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:09:08 AM »
All3 look great, but that Curly Redwood really looks sharp!
I am not a call maker, but I play one on the internet

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:31:49 AM »
Aaron, those are wonderful looking calls  :bigup:  That Ipe call is so traditional looking it could pass for a 50 year old call. Excellent work bro!  I can't make out the writing on the underside of the sound boards? Looks like some decorative turkey feet and some writing?  Whatever it is, it is a very nice touch!  Your work is truly inspiring!

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Brian Watts Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 07:27:57 AM »
very nice..  never try ash but i might have to now.... :bigup:

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:46:45 AM »
Aaron, those are wonderful looking calls  :bigup:  That Ipe call is so traditional looking it could pass for a 50 year old call. Excellent work bro!  I can't make out the writing on the underside of the sound boards? Looks like some decorative turkey feet and some writing?  Whatever it is, it is a very nice touch!  Your work is truly inspiring!

Mutt

Thanks Jeff.  I always write my name, the year the call was made and my website on the underside of the friction surface so it is visible through the sound holes.  If the call is custom I put the customer's name in there as well.  No turkey feet though.   

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »
K.C, Great work my man, those are some beautiful call right there. I guess i'm going to have to bring some with me if anyone is going to see them, not very good about putting them on here.

Offline sharpshooter

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »
 :bigup: awsome, all of em look fantastic
If I can see it I can hit it, If I can hit it I can kill it.