Author Topic: O Rings  (Read 5004 times)

Offline Duckman249

• New Forum Member
O Rings
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:25:58 PM »
I'm making a goose call with an Echo insert. If the insert is a tight fit, do I really need the O rings? Thanks.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: O Rings
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »
Having it be THAT tight is going to be tough on the barrel, and temperature changes (which all hunting calls are going to go through) are going to mess some things up.

Put the end of the call TIGHT on the palm of your hand.  Then, blow through the call.  I think you will find there is air escaping around the insert.

My opinion, you need to make things fit to where the o-rings are doing their job of creating an air-tight, yet "sponge" fit.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Duckman249

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:09:51 PM »
Thanks Parker for the response. It makes sense, but what about inserts without O rings. I can only assume(not always smart) echo duck call inserts are more tapered to fit tighter. Aren't they at risk for the same problem you described? Thank you for the help.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »
 :up1:  Yep!  I put an o-ring on my ECHO duck inserts.  Do you HAVE to?!  Nope.  Makes for a more efficient caller though.  This is also the reason for people banding their barrels, so the inserts don't break the barrels.  You can have a tighter insert as long as you have a band backing up the barrel.  You still aren't going to get as air-tight of a fit as an o-ring though. 

There was a thread on here just last week about an insert getting stuck in a barrel. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Duckman249

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:22:42 PM »
Got it. Thanks again. Have a good holiday. :san3: