Author Topic: 5/8 expanding mandrel  (Read 3241 times)

acbryans

5/8 expanding mandrel
« on: December 07, 2010, 02:51:48 PM »
Just wondering if anybody can answer this quick question. I bought one of Wade's 5/8 expanding mandrels and was wondering how far should I be screwing in the forcing bolt? I'm not about to ruin it before I ever get to use it lol. I sent him and email, but he's probably working and I have the itch to get it going now. Thanks!

acbryans

Re: 5/8 expanding mandrel
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 03:15:14 PM »
Wade got back to me REALLY quick, thanks anyways!

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 08:31:42 PM »

You will probably end up doing it by feel.  If it is too loose, the turning tool with catch the wood and the wood black will stop rotating while the mandrel still spins in the bore.  If it is too tight, then you risk splitting the wood. 

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

acbryans

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 12:29:58 AM »
Yeah, I'm 100 percent sure I figured out what the problem was. I couldn't get the mandrel to grab the blank at all, so then I measured the diameter of the holes. The guy who drilled them for me must not have been using a good vise on his drill press or used the wrong drill bit. I gave him a brand new 5/8 brad point, but some how ended up with holes reading .644! Sure am glad I was given a drill press tonite from my older neighbour. It's a BIG old Canadian No. 18. It must weigh close to 400 pounds, has a 1 1/2 hp motor and 6 inches of quill travel. I know it's an antique, but the motor is fresh and the old boy swears it has the least amout of runout he's seen on a press.

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 07:55:27 AM »
 :bigup: Sounds like you figured it out!  Take your time and be careful not to get things hot.  With a brand new 5/8 bit that shouldn't be a problem.  
Any drill press that runs true and has 6" of travel is a great find!  Your neighbor is a heck of a nice guy.  They're not cheap!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:50:17 AM by Braz »
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain