Author Topic: My own darn fault...... Thanks Stump!  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
My own darn fault...... Thanks Stump!
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:11:30 AM »
 A few months ago I was playing with the CA finish, and I contacted Stump to get a few pointers. Stump graciously told me about the NCF accelerator, and explained his finishing in great detail. Me being the hard headed, stubborn, cheap a$$ed person that I am tried to use the pump spray junk accelerator I had on hand instead of driving the 1.5 hours north and finding the right stuff. Not only did it not work, but it cost me time and patience I didn't have that week. I played around with some other ideas and finally got something to work, but the 3-4 hours pre call finish time was a bit much for my taste.

Fast forward a couple of months to last weekend. I was on my way back from hunting north of Portland and happened to drive by one of the wood working stores. I stopped in and ran across the same NCF accelerator Stump had told me about, so I picked a can up. Last night I was out in the shop and figured I'd give it a run. I tried it with medium CA and low and behold it worked great! I finished a barrel complete in 10 minutes (including the wet sand and polish), and couldn't believe the fast build I got compared to the way I was doing it.

The moral of the story here is this: When someone gives you good advice, follow it to the letter before you change the plan! I tried it using different materials first (no, pump spray accelerator isn't the same :censored:) and failed, so I gave up on what was great advice and found another way. If I would have followed Stump's advice to the letter, I would have found what I was looking for WAY earlier and saved myself some heartache and a whole boatload of work. I really hope I remember this lesson the next time I ask for advice from someone, as the crow I'm eating now don't taste much like chicken...... :censored:

Thanks again Stump, I appriciate the good advice even when I'm too darn dumb to follow it.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
Re: My own darn fault...... Thanks Stump!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »
Good that you ran across the right stuff and thought to give it a try. Stumpjumper knows his stuff. Heck of a nice guy too!
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »
Great post. I too had tried a CA finish and just couldn't get it to work. I was also using the pump accelerator. Then I went to Kansas City and watched those guys with the aerosol sprayer. I had never seen that before, so when I got home I jumped on the internet and ordered some up. I've been practicing with some pens the last day or so and I think I'm almost there. (Slow learner) I'll be trying it on a call or two here shortly. However, I still like the oil and wax finish. It will last forever if taken care of and the CA finish may crack if dropped. Just my opinion.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:10:58 PM »

Bob,   this thread is worthless without pictures!  Let's see your new finish!

I too had fits with the pump type accelerators until I watched the Grub32 CA tutorial on youtube.  I then ordered some of the NCF accelerator and never looked back since.

One word of advise, you can over spray the NCF stuff too, so quick little bursts of it will do ya just fine.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

woodwzrd

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »
Great thread. Now I think I know why my CA keeps blistering or gets bumpy if you will. I will definitely be ordering NCF accelerator soonand see if that makes a deference

woodwzrd

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:08:13 PM »
What brand is everyone having the best luck with?

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:41:25 PM »
I've been using the Rockler brand that is sold here locally.  Its an aerosol accelerator also.  Its worked well for me. 
X2 on not overdoing it!   I hold the can 10-12 inches away from the workpiece and give it a short burst.  That's all it takes.
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »
DOn't know if it's the same stuff or not, but the stuff I got was from the Portland Woodcraft store. I know they have ot online, so that's the best I can do for ya.

Brian,

I'd show ya the one I did last night, but it's new owner snatched it up this morning. I'll get another one going and post that one up.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 12:17:57 PM »
 :bigup:  Doesn`t matter the path one takes to get to the water...as long as you get there  :2up:

I`m glad it worked out for you in the end.  I was wondering how the journey was fairing.  Now we need pictures so we can make fun on the call hehehehe

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 12:02:58 AM »
The NCF stuff is great and makes the process a lot easier!  The brand I use is Satellite City non-CF.  Green and white can.  You can get it at Woodcraft stores or directly from Satellite City's website.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 12:09:32 AM »
I have to ask...... why do you need the accelerator? I do have some but its the pump bottle and I hardly ever use it. Why not just wait a minute between coats?
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 12:49:04 AM »
The aerosol stuff is amazing in the fact that in using it you don't get any of the white spots you get when you use the pump spray stuff. I didn't think there was a difference until I tried it, and you can put on a whole bunch of material in a very short time with no white spots! It's worth it's weight in gold to a guy that needs a quick hard finish!

Bob