Author Topic: Newby question  (Read 4453 times)

4duks

Newby question
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:25:19 AM »
Hello all, first time posting. Let me start by saying this is a very nice forum. I have read some posts on here from time to time and decided I'd better sign up. I am the kinda guy who tries to make as much of my own stuff as possible. I reload most all my own ammo, I (try) to do my own gun repairs (doesn't always work out!) I have never actually made my own waterfowl call, but I always buy the cheaper ones and the first thing I do is file and shave to get the sound I desire. I have been reading on trying to create my own personal calls, I am not out to try to go into business by any means. I have seen several sights where to buy reeds and inserts and such. I do not have a lathe so I am not going to try to turn my own wood or nothing, I do have a small drill press if that helps. I am more looking at buying loose pieces and making something work. I have seen several websites that sell inserts and reeds and stuff, but I don't seem to see anywhere to get the actual barrel. Is this something that has to be made yourself or can they be bought? Also, what would be a good sight to get the inserts, reeds, etc. from? Like I said, I enjoy tinkering with files and stuff, so I would problay get a few inserts if I mess one up. I would appreciate any help I can get. I have no clue where to start.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Newby question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:47:28 AM »
Welcome aboard.   :yes:

You can get inserts from a variety of sources.  Many/most folks that use manufactured inserts use Echo inserts from Echo calls in Beebe, AR.  They're available in timber and open water styles and single and double reed.  They come pre-tuned and ready to stick into a barrel for about $6.  Echo's insert is what a lot of us wish our calls sounded like.  The THO store (our favorite around here), Brookside, Grassy Creek and River Mallard all have kits or inserts as well, not to mention reeds and corks.

I've never seen anyone selling pre-made barrels.  Just about anyone here would probably make you a barrel to your liking for a modest fee and you could insert your own insert and tune to your liking.  If you don't want to make your own and you don't have a lathe you could look around and shoot a message to someone who has barrels you like to see if they'll help.  Or, depending on where you live there may be a callmaker in your area that would assist you in making your own barrel. 

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:56:17 AM »
Great advice KC. Update your info to see if you live near someone here. I know Id be open for you to come by my shop and we could turn out a barrel and insert. Then you could cut it work the toneboard to your liking. Most of the guys would be willing to do the same.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

4duks

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:29:55 AM »
Ok, thanks guys. I updated my profile to show that I'm from mid west Illinois. About 50 miles north of St. Louis. I know of a couple call makers from my area, but I belive they have them made, they just assemble them. Either way I know they don't do their own tooling work. I checked out Echos sight, would you guys have any suggestions on which insert may be better to start with? I am also new to single reeds but have taken an interest into making one. I am not sure how or what to shave on a single to get diffrent results, I know that prefference will vary person to person. Thanks again.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 11:08:41 AM »
 :up1:  Welcome to the site!  A double reed timber from ECHO would be the place to start.  Then, an open reed single.

Then......after that......you're getting into ground that just don't sound as ducky as I would like it to.  The single timber gets low and throaty.  The double reed open is just hard to blow.  It works, but is more work than I think I need to put into a duck call to make it run.

Double reed timber is my go-to for my own calling, and for making a call for someone. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Wes

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:00:18 AM »
If you are 50 miles north of St. Louis , you can't be very far from me, I am in Grafton, and the only call maker around town who can actually make a call :yes: . If you want to get in touch with me I am always willing to help get anyone started , and should have a chunk or two of wood around you could make a barrel out of.........

Wes
There is a fine line between hobby  and mental illness .

4duks

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 12:22:53 PM »
If you are 50 miles north of St. Louis , you can't be very far from me, I am in Grafton, and the only call maker around town who can actually make a call :yes: . If you want to get in touch with me I am always willing to help get anyone started , and should have a chunk or two of wood around you could make a barrel out of.........

Wes

PM sent

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 12:37:57 PM »
 :pot:  If I was that close to Wes, I would never spend any time in my own shop!   :pot:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

4duks

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 02:14:15 PM »
Yeah turns out I'm only about 15 miles away. Thanks for all the info guys. I really enjoy this forum and like seeing all you guys who are willing to help people out, guess there's hope for this world after all! I do have ton of questions about this stuff, so hope ya'll don't get tired of me.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 08:30:22 PM »
Wes will get you started down the right path. I wish I had the opportunity to learn from an experienced call maker like that.  Good luck!!
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 08:36:07 PM »
Don't ever ever ever hesitate to ask questions here.  As you've found, this is a friendly and helpful place.  If we got tired of people asking questions, very few of us would be here, as many of us started with very little knowledge and built our own knowledge through trial and error and a lot of help on THO.  If you and Wes get together for some learning and turning, be sure to post some pics!

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 08:57:04 PM »
Wes is one of the best folks out there to help you out in getting started.  Wes has got some mad skillz with his decorative calls, and especially his duck decoy carvings.  Be careful though.  Wes plants ideas in your head, and next thing you know, you will be trying checkering, carving, and making your own duck decoys.  :helpsmilie:

Brian  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:33:22 AM by BigB »
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Gouldman

• New Forum Member
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 08:11:53 AM »
Yeah that Wes guy is a bad influence, but man you can't help but like the Ole Fart :tt2:
I've gotten alot of advice and inspiration from Mr. Wes, by the way Thanks Buddy.....Ron :yes:
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Offline Wes

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 09:29:37 AM »
Now some of these guy's you have to watch, they will get you into trouble, like that Gouldman character  ::) Just kidding Fatboy hope that back is doing better, we need to get together for a hunt soon.
Your going to find that most of the callmakers are pretty good guy and they have no big secrets, they will help you any way they can, all you have to do is ask. I answered your PM and I will be around the phone most of the day ......

Wes
There is a fine line between hobby  and mental illness .