Author Topic: comp vs regular  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
comp vs regular
« on: December 14, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »
I'm looking for an expert or expert's to tell me the difference between the competition call vs regular duck call, like in the make up of the call. Longer insert,longer reed's, or what ever.

Offline Tobin at Copeland Duck Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Copeland Duck Calls
Re: comp vs regular
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »
Experts..........well you've come to the right place and unfortunately I'm not one :rofl:, but I believe one difference is the comp calls use a smaller tonechannel as opposed to 1/4". :2:

Tobin

"The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary" -VL

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:43:30 AM »
I'm not an expert, but I've done a few comp calls and would be happy to tell you what worked for me.

The tonechannel is drilled at 7/32", the exhaust is enlarged and belled, and I add 1/8" to 3/16" of flat to my tone board (just in front of the cork notch). None of these changes make it easy to blow or keep it from sticking, but when ya pour the coal to it rings like a bell.

Comp toneboards take a ton of time to get right, so don't get in a hurry. Remember that small changes on the toneboard have large consequences in the sound and operation, so tread lightly!

Best of luck,

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 12:40:24 PM »
Thank's Tobin & Bob, I will take that info and go from there. Robert