Author Topic: Coco Gooser  (Read 7555 times)

Offline Two Creeks Calls

• New Forum Member
Coco Gooser
« on: November 04, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »
For those that dont know, I dont believe i will ever be able to make the actual guts for the calls (goose and duck etc) I have a disability stemming from a fight with a virus that almost kileld me, leaving me with some serious issues with small motor skills. The thought of my fingers close to my bandsaw just aint gonna happen! Turning has been a huge help in my concentration and making my fingers do what I want them to however!

Ive been using Echo inserts because they sound good and are easy to use. I decided on this one to sand out the insert to remove that crappy casting line.

I am not a call maker, but I play one on the internet

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Coco Gooser
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 08:00:57 PM »
That is a fine looking call. Using somebody else's inserts is OK as far as I'm concerned. You say you have motor skill problems and that keeps you from making them yourself. I'm so close to deaf I can't decern different tones. To me, a double reed tone board and a single reed tone board sound identical. Needless to say, there are reasons to be using tone boards from someone else. And when they look that good, who the heck cares.  :bigup:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Two Creeks Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:07:04 PM »
Thanks. I feel guilty and I would love to one day do my own call with my own guts but I just know it will spell a very possible chance I will have a emergency room visit or worse. I have to think very hard and really watch what im doing with any power tool that requires my hands being close to the action. I was holding a blank the other night and 1/2 way through cutting it on my mitersaw my hand just let go of the blank! The blank stuck , saw locked up and that was that haha! Ive cut easily thousands of things on it..first time it got me.

I used to be a certified welder...I cant hold steady enough these days to draw an honest bead!

I feel ya on the deafness. Way to many firearms fired on full auto next to my head...added to growing up in a welding shop = I cant hear anything. Mine luckily is affected by Tinitus and certain frequencys. A deer can usualy walk under me before I hear it if there is any wind or background noise in the area.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:09:31 PM by Two Creeks Calls »

Offline Jacob

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 08:16:45 PM »
Very nice.  Can't go wrong with coco and black insert.  Wish I could take pictures of my calls that look that good.

Offline Honk1493

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:36:15 PM »
Great looking call really like the design of your barrel!!! :2up:  Mark
Treat everone like you want to be treated yourself.

Offline Duckman249

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »
Call looks good. I'm still working on my first goose call. I plan on using a black Echo insert too and I don't like the casting line either. Did you buff it after sanding to get it that shiny? Thanks. Oh! We all have our impairments. A nerve going to a muscle in my right eye quit working this Spring which has left me with double vision. I need to ware glasses with prisms in them to see one image. We'll see what happens goose hunting this year shooting with glasses. I also stayed away from the bandsaw until I got the glasses. Good luck.

Offline Two Creeks Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 07:03:52 PM »
I think I had to drop down to 220 and wet sanded from there to 12,000 then polished it.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 07:17:09 PM »
Nice work on shining up that insert 2CC.  That is some impressive adjustments.

We've all got our setbacks.  We just need to overcome them and produce the best calls we know how to produce!  The more work we put into them, the more tips and tricks we can share here for everyone else to learn from here.   :up1:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

BLKDOGS

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 07:43:45 AM »
Very nice work. Way to go looking at the details of getting rid of the casting lines. To all with or without issues,  keep safety  as the 1st thought when working with the tools we use.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 11:40:22 PM »
I'd have never thought that an Echo polycarb insert could ever look that good!  You did a really, really nice job of making that thing shine.  Good looking barrel as well.

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 07:02:05 AM »
Very nice call!  Regardless of your situation, you are making the absolute best of it and doing well at what you love!  Keep up the great work!

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail