Author Topic: a little polishing idea I had  (Read 3307 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
a little polishing idea I had
« on: September 26, 2010, 11:28:39 PM »
So I've been contemplating ways to polish the inside of my see-through acrylic calls' inserts.  Using sandpaper wrapped around my scratch awl I've always sanded to about 1500 grit and then used paper towel wrapped around the awl with polishing compound.  That gives a decent polish but not perfect just because it is tough to thoroughly sand the inside of the insert.  Today I used a .35" cotton gun barrel "mop" (what you screw into the end of your cleaning rod) chucked in my jacobs chuck in the lathe's headstock, saturated it with plastic polish.  I took an insert I had made last week that still had some sanding marks in it, and went to town on it for about a minute.  It made a HUGE difference in the removal of those sanding lines and really polished the inside up.  Won't get me out of sanding, but it makes a pretty effective last step.  For $2 it was worth a shot and it worked.

You do have to wash it out in the sink after use to remove all of the compound from it and fluff it back up.

Thought some of you might benefit from this little trick.  The same thing could be done on the inside of barrels using a 12ga mop.    :2:

Offline Cold Front Calls

• New Forum Member
  • "Hunt the Front"
Re: a little polishing idea I had
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »
NICE WORK :bigup: :thanks:

Randy
"Hunt the Front"

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 11:56:06 PM »
You can use the barrel mops for a lot of things.  One example, if you have the right tap, drill and tap a 3" long 1/4" steel rod, and you have buffing wheel for inside of your acrylic barrels.  Make 3 of them, one for tripoli, one for white diamond and another for plastic polish.  I believe mine are the 12ga mops.

If you can find some that are made from cotton, that do not have 10 pounds of lint on them you can use them like a paint brush to finish the inside of wood calls.  Unfortunately I have not been able to find any of them in years.  There are others, just have to use your imagination.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

BLKDOGS

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:05:02 AM »
1st I have not worked with acrylic but thinking as i read through here, would a 22 cal. cleaning swab that the cottong square cleaning patches go through the hole in the end work? Then when done discard the patch and ready for the next one.

Just Sayin

Offline Tobin at Copeland Duck Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Copeland Duck Calls
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
That sounds like the trick I've been looking for.  Thanks for sharing Aaron.

Tobin
"The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary" -VL

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 11:42:08 AM »
1st I have not worked with acrylic but thinking as i read through here, would a 22 cal. cleaning swab that the cottong square cleaning patches go through the hole in the end work? Then when done discard the patch and ready for the next one.

Just Sayin

I bet that would work ok as long as the little thing you run the patch through doesn't rub the inside of the insert.  I like the idea of more surface area being polished at once, and there's no risk of scratching with the mop.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 12:15:05 PM »
Good idea...I use the cotton swabs like they have in the doctors office.  Q-tip on the end of a 6" small diameter piece of wood

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 12:41:29 PM »
Stump that's something I've tried as well.

Offline idahofowlweather

• New Forum Member
  • Fowlweather Custom Calls
    • Fowlweather Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »

Just Sayin

This is what I use... also I use the back side of the brass rod to wrap sand paper around if I have to do any wet sanding on the inside of the insert..

jake
Jacob Hyer
Fowlweather Custom Calls
www.fowlweathercustomcalls.com

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 12:41:29 PM »
I have a sanding stick I made from a 6" length of 3/16" delrin that I cut a slit in. It works great holding paper for sanding, and holds strips of t-shirt for polishing as well.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....