Author Topic: Should be tying again soon,..  (Read 7148 times)

Amerflyer48

Should be tying again soon,..
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:52:33 PM »
Work was crazy this summer and about 9 weeks back ..

I got hurt at work dumb mistake but it happens...  putting a car battery in a customers car I connected the POS terminal with the wrench (normal) and my wedding ring to the negative terminal (not normal)  yep 950CCA through the ring and finger   full circumference full thickness burn,....

I am back at work,.. less hours and a slower store,...and get to keep all my fingers  but it will be a bit more until I feel confident to bend cord again..

Stay vigilant out there   9 years and over 3,000 batteries all it took was a few seconds of tired,rushing,not paying attention and I get a nice reminder: 

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u95/Amerflyer48/Spreadsheet/0723001125.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u95/Amerflyer48/Spreadsheet/0723001125a.jpg

John

Offline Two Creeks Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Should be tying again soon,..
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:55:41 PM »
I hate to say that aint the first time ive seen that happen...I worked for a battery company for 19 years, it happens ALOT!

Glad youre doing better. My wedding ring has been on 1 time, the day of my wedding. I grew up in a welding shop and got so used to not wearing any rings or necklaces that i just cant have them on.
I am not a call maker, but I play one on the internet

Offline spitfire

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:00:50 PM »
I never ever thought to take my rings off before doing a battery change, not that I do them often but I will make sure I take them off from here on out.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:07:07 PM »

We aren't allowed to wear our wedding rings at work.  I've seen first hand someone almost loose a finger because of a wedding ring.  He got lucky, but the ring slipped up under his skin, all the way above the knuckle.   :no:

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 10:22:18 PM »
Man, that looks like it hurts a lot! I got a minor burn once when I was 18 and working in a service station. Also had some problems with it on a survey party. I haven't worn a ring since.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »
Hazards are everywhere, I am in the embroidery machine sales and service business and I have had lots of customers sew their fingers (700-1000 rpm) Don't know what part of keep your fingers away

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 12:24:01 PM »
Warshard, I work in a printshop also.  Last summer a coworker got his shirtail snatched in the rollers of a 65" Harris litho press.  He put his arm up to stop himself and his left arm went into the roller train up to the shoulder.  We were doing a washup and the rollers were wet but he got third degree friction Burns all the way up his arm and lost quite a bit of skin.  Broke most everything in his arm.  Thank God Tutwo of the bearing races broke and gave a little room.  I think he's on surgery 8 or 9 now.  Lost a lot of movement and.  We went through 6 sawsall blades cutting rollers before emergency services got there and took over.  Still bothers me to walk between those units.
No rings, necklaces, or loose clothing on me around machinery....
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline Two Creeks Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 02:05:54 PM »

But I never appreciated the power in a battery until know.  Just something I never thought much of.  Always new not to cross terminals but I always thought its was a safety measure for the battery and appliance more then personal safety.

Now I know. :eek:

Ive seen a regualt car battery blow and it sounds like a shotgun going off. One blew when an employee was adhusting current on a bank of 20 batteries being charged, the positive terminal shot out and it creased the bill of his hat and then hit the ceiling (22 ft) and went through the drywall.

Best advice...never try and charge a battery you think is bad or is or has been frozen. Frozen batteries go boom alot....in a discharged state the electrolyte will frreze, warping the plates and they can go pop even when thawed out. The hydrogen gas can also form atop the frozen slurry and be set off.
I am not a call maker, but I play one on the internet

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
Heal up well....