Author Topic: What woods do you not wanna make a duck call out of  (Read 25006 times)

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
What woods do you not wanna make a duck call out of
« on: September 16, 2010, 11:17:18 PM »
Don't know if there are any so need some advice from the gurus

Offline Jon Kennedy Custom Calls

• CCM
  • New Forum Member
Re: What woods do you not wanna make a duck call out of
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 06:52:53 AM »
Anything that is dry and makes you go ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! remember the harder the better!

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:45:18 AM »
You can technically make a duck call from any wood you want to, but some are going to sound better than others.  Some will also hold up better than others. 

You should pretty much rule out softwoods like pine, fir and cedar in my opinion.  They lack the density and durability to last through years in the field and they're not dense enough.  I'm sure someone will fervently disagree, as we see a lot of calls turned from cedar.  Those woods are the cheapest and are great for practicing turning or making prototype shapes.

In the middle of the road are hardwoods like ash, oak and walnut.  They'll work as calls, but may lack that "ring" that you want at the high end.  Definitely do-able though.  When you look at a big name callmaker's line-up, you won't see oak, ash, maple or walnut...Probably for good reason in my opinion.  Many of us little guys use them though, and have great success with each.

I'd recommend sticking to super-hard hardwoods that are nice and heavy.  Osage orange (hedge apple), cocobolo or any other rosewood, bocote, bubinga, padauk, african blackwood and laminates like diamondwood and spectraply will give you the best sound available from a wood call.

Offline idahofowlweather

• New Forum Member
  • Fowlweather Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »
You should pretty much rule out softwoods like pine, fir and cedar in my opinion.  They lack the density and durability to last through years in the field and they're not dense enough.  I'm sure someone will fervently disagree, as we see a lot of calls turned from cedar.  Those woods are the cheapest and are great for practicing turning or making prototype shapes.

I will disagree with you...lol... Cedar is one of my fav woods to build a call from... smells outstanding and the tone is unreal for a soft mellow sounding call... also keep in mind soft woods can be stabilized and some might just impresse you with there tone or looks... I'm digging this pic of stabilized dyed blue Pine...

Jake

Jacob Hyer
Fowlweather Custom Calls
www.fowlweathercustomcalls.com

Offline idahofowlweather

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 02:49:37 PM »

Music Grade woods are what most use... because they have great tones to them... and most are good looking... Some have high oil content to they do well with water sports...

IMHO if starting out pick up some Hedge...( aka Osage Orange - Hedge Apple - Bois D'Arc) its hard as nails but turns easy and cuts easy... Most people do not have a reaction to it since its not in the rosewood family and have high amounts of natural oil... its not the nicest looking wood but you can make it your own if you want to purn the gain or burn lines or what not with it... also its cheap... and makes a great sounding call...

Jacob Hyer
Fowlweather Custom Calls
www.fowlweathercustomcalls.com

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:59:16 PM »
I have some osage I can cut, just not sure about the drying, can you cut it into logs and store it somewhere to dry or does it have to be cut down into peices

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »
Allow one year of drying (indoors) per inch of thickness.  So, you're best to cut it into turning squares, anchorseal the ends, and forget about it for a while.  In the interim, Dbroswoods, River Mallard and other vendors have great prices on osage that is already dry and ready to go.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 04:47:54 PM »
Ok, i just placed an order from Mallard

Offline Treeland Outfitters

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »
I recently turned some calls using hickory.  Turned out beautiful and sound great.  Anyone else every used hickory?

ben

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »
I have made several calls out of hickory and all were good sounding calls. I like it.

ben

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 07:36:03 PM »

Music Grade woods are what most use... because they have great tones to them... and most are good looking... Some have high oil content to they do well with water sports...

Musical grade????  You do know what that term means correct

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.