Author Topic: Any pics of squirrel reed?  (Read 4250 times)

Offline MoHops

• New Forum Member
    • Hartman Woodworks Blog
Any pics of squirrel reed?
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »
I'm new to the site and somewhat new to call making. (Been doing it for about a year now)  Trying out a squirrel call for the first time and am having problems getting the sound right out of the reed.  Does any have a side profile picture of how far the reed has to be bladed??  Thanks so much.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Any pics of squirrel reed?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 05:08:05 PM »
I can't give you much help there because most of the calls I make around here the guys are loving the coaxer reed in them.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 06:18:23 PM »
 :up1:  I say it every time this way.  You've got to blade the PIZZ out of them.   :up1:

The mylar reed has a visible bend up off of the toneboard.  It is actually a crease in the mylar (but it is hard to see this with the stainless reed above it).

The stainless reed is permanently bent at probably a.......... 10 to 15 degree angle off of the toneboard?

You want to be sure and hold the reeds against the toneboard back at the base when you are doing this, or the added pressure of doing this will pop everything apart. 

Go a little at a time, and test.  Once you go too far, you're in trouble.  The ones I go too far with, I make into a really low toned predator call.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 07:46:56 PM »
If you got the squirrel kits from me, and you ruin a reed or two, please let me know and I will shoot a couple more out to you no charge.    Don't be afraid to play with them as Parker says.   We'll take care of you if you go "oops"

Al @ THO

Offline MoHops

• New Forum Member
    • Hartman Woodworks Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:32:27 AM »
Al,

Thanks so much for the offer.  I did get the reeds from you.  Last night I fiddled around with them a little bit.  I got three reeds to practice on based on some advice I saw on here.  I've got one that's probably bent too far, one that's not bent enough, and one that I think is just right.  (Kinda like the three bears!!)  Gotta turn a real barrel for it.  I was just using a test piece of wood with a tenon turned on it for the bellows.  I'll put up a pic when I get it finished.  I'll turn the one reed into a small distress call and put the proper bend on the other reed and I should be in business. 

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 09:12:36 AM »
Just a FYI, you can also use an LV 002 reed to make squirrel calls with.  You wont need to do as much blading with them.   I don't think they sound quite as good as a well tuned LVDR 005 reed, but they will work in a pinch

AL @ THO