Author Topic: A materials quandry  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
A materials quandry
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:53:04 PM »
A while ago I purchased a few stabilized blanks from a collector friend. Amongst the blanks was a stunning chunk of Ollipod Burl That had lost a chunk right up near one end. I was playing with it the other night and cut a great shape that went well with the wood. I'm now stuck with a great looking call with a chunk the size of a .38 slug missing right up at the mouthpiece end.n I thought about using another wood to endcap it on the mouthpiece, but the wood where the chunk is missing could easily be broken off trying to shape the area to take the cap. I've never built up a void of this size, let alone on the end of a call.

What do you think you would do, take the chance on trying to cut it back to cap it, or fill it and hope for the best?

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: A materials quandry
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 12:08:28 AM »
I wouldn't try to hide it.  Make it something cool looking that follows the natural lines of the missing chunk.  My recommendation would be to use inlace resin with some sort of filler....Coffee grounds, pepper, brass shavings, glitter, whatever.  Build a masking tape mold that'll leave the material a little big so you can drill/turn it back to flush.  I've found that CA doesn't work all that great as a filler for very large gaps or missing chunks.  Even if you get it to not be brittle, it won't be perfectly clear in most cases.  You might get away with using epoxy but I'd recommend inlace. 

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 01:40:33 AM »
Go with the Inlace, I think it is easier to work with than epoxy and will look better than a CA mixture.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:09:21 AM »
If you go with the inlace resin, be sure that you get some thickening powder with it to mix in it.  That'll make it easier to work with and less prone to running out of where you put it.  Just follow the directions on how much hardener to use.  The best source I've found is an online site called "Turtle Feathers".  Call the guy, he's very helpful.  Also, don't buy a big jar of it, as it has a very limited shelf life.  My can is about 6 months old and is already starting to dry out...Glad I got the little can on his advice.

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 10:13:48 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll look into the inlace resin and see what it's about.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 04:06:05 PM »
Here's a few pics of the void in question....

Bob

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 05:02:19 PM »
Yep, I'd definately give some inlace a try on that. You will really have an interesting piece when done. Keep us posted.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:17:45 PM »
The inlace will be crystal clear unless you use some sort of filler in it.  Or, you can get super-concentrated dyes that will turn it any color in the rainbow.  My only suggestion would be to maybe dremel a couple little holes in the existing wood to really give it something to grab onto.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 08:58:09 PM »
You can also add some metal filings to the inlace for the color, which would look cool. I agree with the holes. A place to grip would really help hold it in place. Don't need to be big, just real small would work great.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”